1. Darkcula

Darkcula Member

Any good proofreading software apart from 'Grammarly' ?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Darkcula, Dec 22, 2013.

If there isn't any, then can 'Grammarly' be trusted for publishing purpose?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It may help you with the broader strokes of grammar, but not the finer ones. No software is yet at that point. Same goes for translation software and for the same reason. Language is too organic and messy for digital minds to yet grasp. :) To this end, the grey matter between your temples is still the supreme tool. ;)

Fitzroy Zeph and Thornesque like this.
  3. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

Thankfully!!

4. Darkcula

Darkcula Member

No offence, but I checked your reply on the grammarly website and it found five critical writing issues in your text.
    The same goes for every piece of writing I have ever tested on this proof reading website except for the published ones. That is why I felt shifting my focus to some other software, so as to counter demoralization.

P.S :D I was scared to use the maximum potential that my mind offers, but thanks to your soothing insight that now I am back to normal. :):)

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

There are actually four. :p You may have also copy pasted the smiley, which Grammarly would have read as ;), thus, a punctuation error. Regardless, therein lies my point. Grammarly is too rigid and prescriptive. It objected at my elision of the definite article in the third sentence, though in casual speech, this is perfectly common. As a writer, one would need to know that this non-standard option is available and imparts a certain tone, thus is not a flaw, but a tool that needs training to use well. ;)

6. Darkcula

Darkcula Member

No, I made sure to skip the smileys but I totally understand what you are saying and it sure boosts my confidence a hell lot so, thanks again for the mentoring.:);)