Say what? A sequel to TKAM?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by thirdwind, Feb 3, 2015.

1. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I don't think anyone is expecting this book to have any significant social impact. For a lot of readers, it's more about the curiosity and excitement of having Harper Lee publish another book (the publication of this book is sort of like the publication of DFW's The Pale King). I'm eager to read this book because I'm a fan of hers. I even have an old hardcover edition of TKAM that I paid $35 for. :D

2. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I think it will be a best-seller, read mostly by people who want to be able to say they read it, like my sister's book club's latest selection, Americanah. I also wasn't much impressed by TKAM. Changed the world? Hardly, any more than Inherit the Wind (play and film) relieved us of the young-earth creationists.

123456789 and Shadowfax like this.
  3. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

That's quite interesting. I'd imagine the sequel can't live up to TKAM, though, even if it was better written because of the cultural baggage the first novel seems to carry.

A small portion of the world, I'd say. I have to also admit I never read it 'cause it wasn't required reading, not even in university, and I haven't had any inner motivation to read it later either.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I suspect a lot of TKAM sales are due to schools, but it can't account for all of them. In 2010 there were around a million copies sold according to NYT. According to BBC, the book still ranks high on lists of reader's "favorite books," even now, so many decades after its publication. Whether sales are to schools or not, the fact that the public would continue to name it as a favorite book would seem to indicate that the story and themes still resonate. There are many books assigned in schools, and for the most part most people seem to hate them.

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Now The Help was a bit of a let down... Not seen the film. The book didn't inspire me to watch it really.

6. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

I apprecciated most books I was forced to read. TKAMB is just one of "those things." Not real literature. Just something a bunch of high school teachers can pat themselves on the back for liking, cause their favorite high school teacher liked it, etc, etc.

I'm capable of judging good literature by myself. 1984 will get more and more relevant untill will are no longer allowed to read it. Shakespeare is wordgasm. They should have made us read ALL his works not just one. Mark Twain is hardcore American charm and wit.

TKAMB is a one hit wonder. The writing is unremarkable. NOT bad, but how many of us here already have said it left no impact one way or the other? The characters? Well, the innocent curious little girl, the righteous tiresome lawyer father, the sweet accused black damsel in distress that we can all pat ourselves on the back for wanting to save. Yeah, that's totally a culture thing only a few of us are going to be into . It's not bad literature. It's certaintly not ultra important literature either.

7. thirdwind

Some of you are way too harsh. I don't think Lee was trying to "change the world" with TKAM. She was simply highlighting an issue in the American South. This book is actually very closely associated with the Civil Rights Movement because it was published during the beginning of the movement. It's easy for modern readers to miss the historical context, but if you look closer, you'll find that this book did some amazing things.

Also, TKAM is part of the American Canon, so it really doesn't matter what anyone says at this point. Sure, Lee isn't Faulkner or Fitzgerald, but her book is important in a different way.

8. Steerpike

I don't see any evidence to back that up. There are plenty of books that are assigned in high school that teachers like and that students would never put on a list of favorite books into later years. Why not Moby Dick (that's one of my favorites, but not for people as a whole)?

It seems like too convenient to say that people who allege that TKAM is one of their favorite books are simply lying for appearances.

9. 123456789

Sorry, I don't think I can trust anything you or Thirdwind say in this particular conversation. The fifth line down in the wikipedia entry for TKAMB is "Atticus finch....serves as a moral hero and a model of integrity for lawyers." This book makes lawyers look good, and since you and Thirdwind are both lawyers....

10. Steerpike

Sure you can. Don't we take oaths of integrity, honesty, &c.?

123456789 likes this.
  11. 123456789

Well even if you're half as honest as Atticus Finch!

12. thirdwind

Technically I'm not a lawyer yet. And I might even end up going into academia after I graduate.

13. 123456789

It's still law school. Look, you and I both know the minute you pass that bar you're gonna buy yourself a Lincoln with the custom plate "ATTICUS"

14. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've just read an advanced review of the novel and apparently it's pretty poor.

Also it commented that To Kill a Mocking Bird received the attention of 3 very excellent editors to beat it into it's ultimate shape, which is why Harper Lee's sister basically forced her not to publish this other novel - the sister thought it was a heap of shit. If that's not a direct quote, from the tone of the review I read it could have been.

You are now part of a club. I've been mistaken for a professor, you a lawyer. Our secret society proudly welcomes to yo our ranks, brother thirdwind.

15. Steerpike

I figure it was sitting around unpublished for so long there had to be a reason. Why didn't they hire editors to beat it into shape this time?

16. 123456789

I didn't mistake him for anything. Just needed a strong argument.....

Although I have mistaken you for a professor

Lemex likes this.
  17. 123456789

Some irony here. Yesterday, fans rejoiced and critics groaned. Soon, the fans will be sobbing and the critics laughing, as Harper Lee is exposed for the talentless one hit wonder she's always been.

18. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I'm not entirely sure, the review didn't say - it just mentioned that as background, in comparing it to the earlier, famous novel. This new novel is apparently set some years after TKAMB, but was written years before and this new boo will refer heavily to TKAMB. I guess it's not getting the attention of quality editors mostly because of the name 'Harper Lee', and also because of timing. An issue brought up already in this thread. And also, the impression I got is that TKAMB had the potential to become TKAMB, while this hasn't the same potential to become great art.

Haha. Honestly, I liked that image. Who wouldn't? :p

19. Steerpike

If I could sell the number of books Harper did, I'd settle for a one hit wonder. Then I'd retire and write whatever the hell I wanted to while living on my royalties.

20. 123456789

I bet you and @thirdwind are also Beatles fans. Am I right?

21. Steerpike

They're OK. Never been a huge fan, but I don't mind them. Right now I'm listening to Agalloch, which I'd rather listen to by far than any Beatles song:

22. 123456789

Yeah they're pretty good. I was wrong about you and the Beatles but now you know what it's like to see something that's only "OK" be made into a huge deal just because

23. thirdwind

What's so bad about being a one hit wonder, especially in the writing world? It's much harder to write a novel than it is to write a song, so being a one hit wonder isn't that big of a deal for writers. In fact, here are some writers who only wrote one good book: J. D. Salinger, Emily Bronte, Sylvia Plath, Ralph Ellison, Joseph Heller, and Truman Capote. That's not bad company to be in. Besides, like I said earlier, TKAM is in the American Canon. The chances of any of us on this forum accomplishing that are slim.

24. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

But Professor Lemex, why would they just beat it into better shape? I mean, if her sister thought it was a heap of shit, then wouldn't that be a sign to improve on it?

I'm assuming it'll go through further revision before release, correct? It's not like we're going to get the manuscript as they found it 50-odd years later?

25. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Where's your bestselling book? You just called someone who wrote a classic as talentless. You don't have to like the book but now you're just grasping for straws to stay astute in this debate. It's very hard to have a bestselling book fifty one years after it's release, that's not a fad by any means.