Scaredness!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jmitchell1986, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I have a big problem with heights also. But for me, that means I have to attack that fear, so I take amusement park rides that involve heights, I climb cliffside trails, and generally take opportunities to kick that fear in the nuggets.

So it still scares the bejeezus out of me, but I'm getting a little better at it.

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I have a fear of sleeping on a top bunk of bunk beds :p but I love heights to be honest! Never be afraid of heights.

3. Cogito

The funny thing is, I have no fear whatsoever in airplanes, as long as it's a closed cabin. I have flown on large passenger planes, smaller passenger shuttles, and in single and twin engine private planes, and even turbulence doesn't bother me. I think I'd probably be ok in an open cockpit, as long as I am enclosed to nearly shoulder height, and right side up; someday perhaps I'll get to test that.

4. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I really, really am afraid of heights and sliding surfaces. It's really difficult for me to pass a bridge. But I don't have any problems with airplanes, camels, lifts or anything like that. I also have a fear of sliding surfaces. It is a result of a bad childhod experience :redface: arr.

5. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Bees freak the piss out of me. Whenever I see one, I freeze up and don't move until it's gone. >.> It's cuz once when I was little, I was running with some friends and stepped over a nest of bees. I got stung by five of 'em at once, and one of them was right behind my right ear, and it started to swell, so my ear got pushed forward until I couldn't hear and I looked (more than usual) like a moron.
    Also, those spiders with the legs that are way too long. I hate them.

6. MedicMan

MedicMan New Member

You mean a Daddy Long Legs? They are kinda creepy I guess... bit pathetic too though, they're so fragile!

7. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

No, those are easily squishable. I'm talking about the really big ones.

8. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Tarantulas? Goliath spiders?

9. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I don't know...just giant spiders.
    Would you just let me be stupid in peace! >.<

10. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

wolf spiders? those ones freak me right out. I had one fall on my lap before from the roof, then my dog chomped it. Also this one time I was carrying a load of dirty laundry downstairs and one climbed off the laundry and started climbing up my arm. So sick.
    uhg.

11. Bick

Bick New Member

Only spiders that scare me are the ones big enough to bite me :p We had an infestation of Brown Recluses in our house last year. I think their bite is deadly, or at least caused some damage. None of us got bitten though, we never bothered them so they didn't bother us... i guess x)

12. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

eeeep scarey. I think I would crap my pants if I came across a poisonous spider.

13. Cogito

I'm not overly fond of them either. The landlord has seen a couple Brown Recluses in dark corners of the basement and a storage shed - they don't like light.

I used to be much worse about spiders. One benefit from my marriage, my ex was insanely afraid of spiders. By that, I mean she would wake in the middle of the night hallucinating dinnerplate-size spiders on the wall over the bed. I was then rudely awakened by elbows or knees pounding into my back and head.

So guess who was in charge of doing away with the real spiders...

Have I ever mentioned how bizarre my ex's behavior was at times? That's a single example.

14. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

Speaking of Hallucinations, I am pretty sure I had a hallucination or flashback from my dreams to a show on the tv. My tv was on some soap and while I was dozing off, I started dreaming, when I woke up though, I remember having this nightmare/ hallucination while still remembering bits of the soap ( I was pretty out of it though, I hadn't a clue what was going on)

Anyway, the scary hallucination/nightmare, was something on the same subject of hell. I don't know what it was definityely, but whatever it was, it was very negative and a horrible experience. I know something was going on in the back of my mind though but I can't put my finger on it, or what it was.. I think the hallucination was mildly due to tiredness, I need sleep badly lol. I think the nightmare had something also closely to do with numbers, but whatever it was, it was negative and uh, just horrible. I dream like this very rarely, but when I do it's just horrible and is a feeling unlike any other.

You'd be suprised what lack of sleep would do to you.:eek:

15. Bick

Bick New Member

"As indicated by its name, this spider is not aggressive and usually bites only when pressed against human skin, such as when tangled up within clothes, bath towels, or in bedding" Apparently, that's why we weren't bitten. It probably came from us moving old boxes into the living room and sorting through them. It says they like cardboard boxes. Scary.

So, beware old cardboard boxes o_O

16. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

I hate spiders too. But the other day I squished a red-back spider, one of many poiseness spiders in Australia. But Whitetails are really bad, the venom eats the skin. Blech.

I also used to be afraid of death but now I fear waking up to find that the world has been exposed to something, turning people into zombies. So I try not to watch horror movies anymore as well.

Oh and I read something in an British magazine, that there is this girl with an intense irrarional fear of baked beans!

17. Bick

Bick New Member

Rofl, poor girl! She's missing out on a wonderous thing.

18. Torana

no she isn't they are disgusting!!!!

19. Cogito

Nah, nothing wrong with baked beans. It's the people who are EATING the baked beans you need to avoid!

20. adamant

Seconded.

I think I'm mildly afraid of most insects/spiders, but it seems to fall within reason in my mind. My thoughts are that if I don't mess with them, they don't mess with me. Moreover, seeing as how I don't know what can/will kill me, I think it's best that I keep my distance.

Also, I don't like having to talk to new people (in person)... though this can be dispelled quite easily for something I want or need to do.

21. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I have a deep-seated fear of being car jacked. I just don't know what I would do in that situation. If I'm stopped at a red light or something, and someone is walking near my car, I automatically lock my doors. It's silly, yes, I know.

I'm not afraid of ghosts or anything. One of my friends lives in a house that's apparently really haunted, and I sleep over there all the time.

22. adamant

Speaking of locking doors, I've always wanted to go to a really wealthy neighborhood and lock my doors whenever someone got near me (esp. if they're in a nice car).

23. Torana

Freshmaker I always drive with my doors locked for the same fear really. I know it is silly and me being paranoid but I can't help it....especially when I am in the city or in a town where I don't know anyone...

24. Cogito

My car doors lock automatically when the car starts moving.

25. Torana

I need a car like that then!