Schools...they should be safer than this.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shiranai-san, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I know but what else are they meant to do about it? I mean, we had an incident where the lads in our year throw stones and one got his eyes slashed. all those invlolved were suspended for a week and that's it, although a permanent exclusion follows if it happens again. what more can they do?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

The fact of the matter is, that such a punishment isn't a deterent. And for the rest of the students, this is a breach of their human rights, because they have the right to a safe and secure learning environment. And the schools are too afraid of getting sued to expell pupils, and too concerned with their outward appearance to much care about the pupils. It's much better for them if the victims remain quiet and downtrodden, so that they don't cause a scene, and so they aid the bullies in working towards this. It's frankly sickening.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

mabye the school's punishment isn't a deterant.
    But a punch in the face is...
    I had no problem in school with hitting people who gave me trouble.
    Of course, I was young and stupid back then, and I only used violence if it got bad, other wise I would just laugh at them and walk off.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In cases like that, I say the school should turn the ones responsibility over to the police. That level of assault is a criminal act, and the perpetrators should have that impressed upon them. As it is, juvenile records are sealed when the child reaches adulthood, at least in most countries I know of, so it is still a far less severe consequence than an adult would have to face for the same act.

Someday these kids will BE adults. They should learn the lessons before then.

5. Heather Louise

I kow but in this case it was differnt I think as they lad who got hurt was the one who was throwing them aswell and he does all the time, which makes him just as bad as them. Some little girl got hit in the head with one a while back but I don't know what happened with that.

6. yfc54

yfc54 New Member

Funny that this subject should come up in the very week that I witnessed a pretty vicious assault on a young girl

7. Heather Louise

Kids can be little c**ts, that is horrible but the truth. but, truth be told, the only way the bullies and the others learn is by having a good seeing to. not by their mam or a teacher or someone but by someone their own age. The las who got hurt throwing stones, hasn't done it again. he learned. Sometimes it is down to us to sort them out, even if it does mean a little it of violence back.

8. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Kids are little ****s at times. I work as a midday supervisor at our local secondary school, mainly with the Year 7s (11 - 12).

They are forever getting in fights, yesterday someone threw a chair at someones back. The other day someone got kicked in the head and a couple of days a go I found 2 kids huddled together smoking weed rolled up in paper.

The one that threw the chair got a warning, the one kicked a girl in the head got sent to see the head of year who said don't be so careless next time and the ones smoking weed got the weed confiscated...

Soooo severe...

9. Banzai

Seriously? The weed was only confiscated? :confused: A lot of these things are criminal offences, for which they'd be arrested outside school...

10. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Well... we're often kept there against our will doing busy work; we're given our sentence when we enter, but those with good behavior can get out earlier; too many people in small areas; limited time outside; often surrounded by gates and/or fences; isolated when we get in trouble; et cetera.

11. Kit

Yep it was confiscated. Not noted on their records, no calls home... nothing. Definitely no police involvement.

12. Banzai

And the school admin smoked the weed? I wouldn't surprise me if my old school's senior staff did something like that.

13. evizaer

evizaer New Member

I'll never be in the same situation as someone else. Neither will you.

14. Kit

Most likely, Banzai.