1. jonahmann

jonahmann Active Member

Splatterpunk

Discussion in 'Horror' started by jonahmann, Oct 20, 2014.

I'm starting to work in this genre. Any tips?

2. mad_hatter

mad_hatter Active Member

I'd never heard the term "Splatterpunk" before. Sounds like the idea would be to use graphic descriptions of torture and death...

Not sure why that's necessary? Why is this even a distinct sub - genre? I've read a number of horror novels with gory descriptions, but I never considered there to be a sub - genre at work...

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

As "Steampunk" is sci-fi using steam era technology, "Splatterpunk" must be sci-fi using splatter technology?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Splatter is not so much horror as horrible. Gore is a bore (both the politician and the bloody entrails).

Good horror reaches into the primal fears and stirs them until they rise like a masterfully crafted souffle.

5. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

Does this have to do with those bloody japanese cyberpunk movies?

6. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

With regard to the OP's question, doing splatter in words is harder than on film. You need to create a greater feeling of contrast between the "ordinary" and the sudden outbursts of extreme violence. Otherwise the horror described in words will quickly lose its impact. Resist the urge to use jump frights. They won't work as well in a novel. The creep factor, the unease, still has to be built up just as in any horror novel, but you simply go much further in the sensory elements in your description and narration.

One advantage you have over film is the ability to describe the thoughts and feelings of the victims while film is limited to screams and gore.

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hmmm, a new word. The first I heard of SteamPunk was when I saw a bunch of people going to a SteamPunk CosPlay at a convention center in a hotel I was in.

From Google:
    But I'm with @Cogito on this one. Stuff like this is more atrocious than scary:
    [​IMG]