1. DarkWoods

DarkWoods Active Member

Any good book recommendations for writing horror and science-fiction?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by DarkWoods, Oct 28, 2022.

Do you have any good book recommendations for learning how to write horror and science-fiction?

Thanks for your help!

2. scrambleburgan45

scrambleburgan45 New Member

Not a book, but I recommend The Writer Dojo podcast (on Spotify and YouTube), by Steve Diamond and Larry Correa. Steve is a horror writer and Larry does lots of sci-fi, so I'm sure there's a lot of great tips you could get from them!
    https://m.youtube.com/c/WriterDojo

3. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

I mean, I think it would be remiss if someone didn't mention Stephen King's: On Writing: A memoir of the Craft. I don't know if it touches on writing horror specifically, but it is written by Stephen King.

Mish, petra4, DarkWoods and 1 other person like this.
  4. DarkWoods

DarkWoods Active Member

I am reading it right now. It explains in details how he write but doesn’t give tips on how to write horror.

5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
    Mish and Vaughan Quincey like this.
  6. Vaughan Quincey

Vaughan Quincey Active Member

Currently Reading::
    JG Ballard - Concrete Island
    Read a lot, see what grabs you attention and try to find out why.
    Horror and Science Fiction are first quite different, and second, both are divided into many subgenres.
    First I guess try to improve your general writing - Plot, character, techniques, style... Find out your own voice, which sentences or chapters you feel happiest with, and then 'just' go ahead and do your own thing.

On Horror, there is 'The Faculty of Horror' Podcast. Deals mostly with Films, but they analyse what's behind them. Among these films there are many based on books.
    I don't always agree with the girls, but they do make some pretty decent points often. They also provide you with (mostly high quality) sources for further read. And when not, it's food for thought.

I don't write much Science Fiction, but as a reader I appreciate originality. I just don't want to read another book on just either Robots, AI, or a dystopian future after a pandemic...

7. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

For a good blending of SciFi, and Horror, take a look at Scott Sigler's Infected series.