Science Fiction Setting Development?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by SkyeRangerDelta, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Richard M. Williams

Richard M. Williams New Member

(oooooh I hate that DLC more so to the point I hate FO4s building system, so much wasted potential)
    There is a diamond mine in South Africa that I can't remember the name of that is on the scale your talking about of course there are huge mines in Russia but they're a hybrid open-pit/sub-surface mines.

Here is a google search for various types of underground mines.

SkyeRangerDelta likes this.
  2. SkyeRangerDelta

SkyeRangerDelta New Member

Wow, looks just like the Fallout 4 expansion in some of them. I'll do some more research into the matter.

I'll have to dig around on deep core drilling.

But now you've got me thinking, on a separate note, you've obviously played the same as me or more (just started maybe a week ago off and on (work)), why do you not care for the building system? Matter of fact there is a con I can think of, how tab or enter can pickup an object when you're looking at it and trying to select something in the build menu.

3. Richard M. Williams

Richard M. Williams New Member

i hate that the rotation system is on a compass point but 0, 90, 180, and 360 are intentionally skipped and the build boxes aren't using straight lines. Also why do only certain things snap?

4. SkyeRangerDelta

SkyeRangerDelta New Member

Ah, yea, the rotational features are kind of bad. The only things that I've found that don't snap are some of the vault pieces, and to be honest, most of the time that I've encountered a non-snapping piece is because there's something in the way.

Lol, this is veering off topic.

Thanks for all the insight to all those that posted concerning the issue, I think that I'm now equipped to develop my environments now. :D

5. Thom

Thom Active Member

You have to make sure the Pegasi is dead by this point... Very messy otherwise.

And no! My Pegasus is slightly smaller, at just about three hundred and fifty meters bow to stern.;)

Cave Troll and Homer Potvin like this.
  6. Wolf Daemon

Wolf Daemon Active Member

To make a proper Sci Fi Setting (at least what I do) is look to the past in history how events have occured and how people reacted to those events (at this point for me it's all just basic knowledge as I love history and learn new stuff about it everyday) and from your knowledge of that make a guess at what you think will happen in the future and how it will happen.

As for describing the innards to a space ship that all depends on the first part. Do you imagine space ships being spartan with tight spaces like submarines of the 1940's (as I don't know if submarines are designed the same today)? Or maybe you view them as more luxury cruise liners of space. Are they grey cold corridors or are they wide open spaces with white walls and plants growing on the sides of the hallways. What is your view of the future?

7. iRoppa

iRoppa Member

Also, look at the different design ideology between civilian and military aircraft interiors. Civilian aircraft have panels to hide cabling etc. Whereas military aircraft do not. Here function trumps aesthetics. Plus it keeps costs down.

Good example: https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB712GB720&hl=en-GB&biw=1024&bih=653&ei=gQGmWMiXOsjMgAbJ0ZeoBw&q=interior+of+c17&oq=interior+of+c17&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.3..0i22i10i30k1.10432.2259957.0.2260666.51.33.18.7.7.0.640.5818.0j24j4j1j1j1.31.0.voicev2e%2Cevd%3D1%2Cvfo-evf%3D1%2Cvfo-vft%3D0-9%2Ccfro%3D1.2..0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-serp..10.41.3112.3..0j0i7i10i30k1j0i10i67k1j0i7i30k1j35i39k1j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i131i46k1j46i131k1j0i10k1j0i22i30k1.M2t4BXoziJU#imgrc=CJaWPHV_6BsCzM: