1. Barkly

Barkly New Member

Help with an arrest scene?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Barkly, Apr 9, 2015.

Hello!

So, I'm working on a little story involving a murder. And I have to say it's a bit different that the kinds of things I'm used to writing so I need some help.

Basically, the story will involve two friends in collage finding the true culprit, but along the way one of them gets framed as the murderer.
    It plays out a bit like:

-Friend 1 is aware of an unsolved murder
    -Friend 2 accidently discovers the murder weapon
    -Friend 1 recognizes said weapon is related to the murder
    -they turn the evidence into the police
    -the police wrongly connect Friend 2 to the murder because he had the weapon (there's a little more that leads to this conclusion, but I'm not going to get into it right now...)
    -the police show up at the school and arrest Friend 2 during class

Now for my problem. I'm not really sure how to write the arrest scene, I've looked up police procedure but I haven't found quite what I'm looking for.

Would the police interrupt a class and arrest a student in front of his peers? I assume they wouldn't wait since murder is serious business.

How many officers would arrive to make the arrest? One? Two? Five? Or is it dependent on the size of the police force?

Would they need to take the time to get an arrest warrant? Or would the evidence they have suffice to make the arrest as soon as they make the connection?

And how would the scene go down? I'm imagining the police come in and slap cuffs on Friend 2, while reading his Miranda Rights. But do they need to say "you're under arrest for the murder of so-and-so" or would that be inappropriate to do in front of the whole class before Friend 2 has been declared guilty in a fair trial?

If anyone can help with any one of these issues it would be much appreciated. On top of that if anyone has any ideas to add, or thinks this scenario sounds unrealistic, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

2. Barkly

Barkly New Member

Ha ha, oops! They're in 'college' not 'collage'.
    It's less artistic than that! ;)

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Interesting question. I would imagine they'd contact the dean who would take them to the class, summon the boys out and the police would arrest them accordingly. How many police officers would it take? It would depend, to be honest.