Tags:
  1. chiminichanga

chiminichanga New Member

Screenplay transitions

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by chiminichanga, May 31, 2010.

Hi, I have a simple question. In an opening sequence of a screenplay, how do I properly format bouncing between two action sequences that run together a short moment later?

Example:
    A BLACK CAR is careening down a residential street well over the posted SPEED LIMIT SIGN.

Two young boys laugh and kick a SOCCER BALL to eachother.

The BLACK CAR blows through a STOP SIGN.

One of the boys trips as the sound of the black car's engine can be heard closeby.

A father sees the black car coming down the road and instantly reacts.
    He runs into the road, grabs the boy and dives out of the way, barely surviving the impact from the speeding vehicle.

My question, is in this situation can you describe the scene with paragraph returns? Or does it require another type of formatting to build tension for that final moment?

Thanks,
    Chimi

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

this would most likely be treated as a 'montage' or 'series of shots' by the pros...

you should have a good how-to on hand to help with things like this, as you learn the craft... if you email me, i'll be happy to send you my 'tools of the trade' list and some tips from the pros on any aspect of screenwriting you need...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. chiminichanga

chiminichanga New Member

Luckily I already found your "tools of the trade" list in another post, which is very helpful. Also your response will help me format that portion correctly. I appreciate it, thanks!

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

glad it all helped... hugs, m