1. Dakin

Dakin New Member

Getting Started

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Dakin, Apr 11, 2014.

Alright, this is my first post here. So bear with me.

I've always wanted to be a writer. Growing up, reading books like Ender's Game, Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter and so on. I've always had an incredibly strong desire to create a fictional world and characters to inhabit it.

But I'm the kind of guy that's started many different stories and ideas. But have finished none of them. I think I may be attempting to start at too broad a scale though. I either can not come up with anyplace to take my story, or do not like what I've got so far.

I've always had an idea for a fantasy world, that's kind of similar to either, Nirn from "The Elder Scrolls" franchise, Middle Earth from "Lord of The Rings" and Westros from the "A Song of Fire and Ice". Similar in the sense that I want to create a fantasy world. Preferably one that is dominated by sword and shield. But can never seem to get a good enough start on it.

I've experimented with a few different scenarios: Overthrowing a corrupt ruler, Dystopian future, Space Si-fi epic, Average Joe gets thrust into Adventure, Revenge, Unlikely love and even the whole "Chosen one" thing, as played out as it is.

But I can never seem to actually form my ideas. I have trouble coming up with specifics for the story. I can get down the overall plot, a few of the characters, the general world it takes place in. But generally, that's all I can come up with. Sometimes, I can't even think of a decent overall plot. At least not one that's not generic and is actually complete.

I would also love to create my own language at some point. But that's another subject entirely.

I guess my whole point is to ask for help. Is there any advice you can give me as to how to improve these things?? Should I write a bunch of short stories first?? Should I attempt to write Non-Fiction before writing Fiction?? Should I flesh out more of the story and characters before attempting to put it all together??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Jordan

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014