1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Screenwriting Script doctors

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Steerpike, Dec 31, 2016.

Working on a spec script--first one I've done. I've had some luck selling short stories, but of course a screenplay is a totally different skill set I don't have. When it is done it is really going to need someone with experience to go over it.

Is it common to hire a script doctor prior to putting a spec script out there, or is that something that comes later if you get interest in the project?

2. Absolem

Absolem Member

I don't mean to derail but what do you mean you've had success selling short stories? Like you have a collection published?

3. Steerpike

No, I've sold short stories to various markets and got a nice pay rate last month for winning a short story contest. I haven't thought about putting them together as a collection or anything. Maybe some day.

4. Absolem

Absolem Member

What do you mean you sold stories to markets? Sorry for being so dense.

5. Steerpike

You know what short story markets are, right? Markets that buy short stories from authors and publish them. You submit stories and if they like they they pay you for them.

6. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I think isn't @Selbbin in screenwriting? I seem to think @Tea@3 is as well?

7. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

Generally 'doctoring' is done after purchase when it's in pre-pro and the prod/director want changes made. And someone has to pay the 'doctor' for that service.

Beware: there are numerous ads around of those who claim expertise and offer to work over your script for 'XX' sum of money. Don't go that route.

If you plan to continue screenwriting, I'd say just buckle down and learn your own craft, and let that grow organically. (it takes time. Lotta time) But if it's a one time shot you can find plenty of able readers by soliciting reads from screenwriting circles around the web. (donedealpro.com is a great source) Nothing beats a list of trustworthy contacts/reading partners.

On a side note, make sure you know what you want from this to begin with, so that you aren't chasing the wrong goal. That sux, and wastes time.

If you wish to proceed on your own but aren't interested in learning the craft the you may consider writing an outline and a treatment yourself then letting someone else mold those into a script. Screenwriting is both highly technical and highly subjective, and can be hard on the nerves.

Thanks for the nod, @Mckk ...you have a good memory. (maybe @Sack-a-Doo! will chime in as well)

Mckk and Mumble Bee like this.
  8. Absolem

Absolem Member

Damn, I had no idea that was possible. I definitely need to look into these markets.

If they buy one and publish it do you get credit as the creator?