1. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Scrivener for iOS: can you view Project Statistics?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by mashers, Aug 4, 2017.

Not sure if I'm missing something, but I can't find Project Statistics in Scrivener for iOS. Is it possible, or is this feature only in the desktop version?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

There may be a more direct way, but this is the way I found...

Go into any one of your scenes. Initially what displays at the top is the name of the scene. Tap the screen as though you were going to type new stuff into it and the scene name will change to the word count for the scene. Tap the numerical word count for the scene at the top (it's a button) and you'll get the project word count.

IMG_0184.PNG IMG_0185.PNG

3. mashers

Ahh perfect! Thanks buddy! I’m still within my trial on Scrivener for desktop and found that I only really fired it up every so often to check my overall word count. Now I know how to do it on iOS, I’m wondering whether I even need the desktop version since I do all my writing on my iPad or iPhone.

4. Wreybies

Don't know... Good question, though. I've never used the iOS version for any of the more complex bits like exporting or compiling, so I can't say.

5. Wreybies

The good thing about the Scrivener trial is that it's 30 days of use, not calendar days (@Komposten, do I have this correct?) so it would seem that if you use your portables as your go-to platforms for writing, you could leave the trial version in "suspended animation", so to speak, and only go to it when you're ready for the End Game! :)

ETA: Of course, I can't guaranty that that's how it would play out. It just seems so... :whistle:

6. mashers

Yeah that is correct - it's 30 days of use, and each day only counts if you use it on that day. I still had it installed on my Mac from when I first ran it months ago (and didn't use it since), and it still had 29 days left ;)

I did export once from the iOS version and it looked great. But I don't know if it would be suitable for submission to a publisher. To be honest, I will probably by the desktop version at some point to support the developer and because I do occasionally write on my Mac so the trial will run out. But for now, it's good to know that I can check the word count on my iOS devices, and only fire up the trial when I really need to.

7. mashers

Hmm, something weird I've just noticed. If I do the overall draft word count on iOS, the number it reports varies depending on which document I'm editing when I tap the word count on the toolbar. That leads me to question the accuracy of this figure :confused: