1. Christina58

Christina58 Member

Scrivener & Google Chrome

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Christina58, Apr 7, 2018.

Is anyone using Scrivener and Google Chrome? My new laptop uses Google Chrome and I would like to use Scrivener, there is an app you can download in Google play to buy. I was wondering how well does it work since it is fairly new to Google?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don’t believe Scrivener has a version made to run in Chrome (I.e. ChromeOS).

You might be able to use Crossover to get the Windows version going, I don’t know. If you use Crouton you can install a Linux distro and run that version.

3. needdabestwritingsoft

needdabestwritingsoft Banned

where did you hear that possibly rumour from?

link?

maybe just use w/e

finding software is an incredibly pain...................................

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'd guess you can run windows in the cloud, or mac in the cloud (or any kind of virtual box that will run on chrome) and run scrivener on that - alternately you could leave a Pc or mac with scrivener running on it connected at home and use the chrome remote desktop to access it

or you could set the chrome book up to dual boot with linux and run the linux version of scrivener

but tbh its probably not worth it, one of the touted main benefits of chrome is the seamless integration with google docs ... so installing another word processor on it seems a bit pointless.

(that said Novlr will run on chrome ... I've not used it myself, but word from those that have is that its fairly scrivener like - Novlr runs online most of the time but you can work offline on any OS except some flavours of linux - point of note though is that its relatively expensive at $10 a month)

Tbh I've found finding software incredibly easy, the trick is not to create barriers that have little bearing on the writing process - I write fiction in open office on the Pc, in pages on the mac, and in scrivener on both for non fiction. - I don't have a chromebook but if I did my inclination would be google docs ... I'm a linear writer so I've not found Scriv essential for fiction projects

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  5. Christina58

Christina58 Member

I did look at the running windows in the cloud. I agree it is a pain to have 2 units running at the same time and not worth the bother. I did download ywriter6 for Chrome, the charge was minimal ($5.00) it runs great as far as I have used it. I do not mind paying for software people have put in time and effort into the programming but not a monthly subscription fee. Do people not remember that we are starving writers.;) I will have a look at Novlr.

6. Steerpike

With ChromeOS you don’t have to dual boot to run Linux. You can use crouton and switch between Chrome and Linux with a simple keystroke. Runs better than in a virtual machine.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

well that's the answer to that one - although open source scriv isn't entirely the same as PC scriv - its about like version 2 without the new developments brought by scriv 3

8. Steerpike

Yeah, it’s well behind. I haven’t used that version in a couple of years, but it worked well at the time even though it lacked all of the current features. It is community developed, as I understand it, and will probably always be quite a bit behind the current official release.

9. big soft moose

yeah its workable - ive got it on my linux boxes pretty much so i can open scriv files on them if i want to.. it buggers up the formattoing if you go from scriv 3 to the open source version though

10. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

Sorry I'm so late to this party, but since many newer Chromebooks can now run Android apps. You COULD use Novel Writing software for Android tablets from Google Play. Just search for "Novel writing apps" when you are in Google Play. Many do much of the same things as Scrivener. I considered a LOT of options before I selected my software!

Some seem fairly complete. others not so much. At least one is free.
    Here are two that I thought sounded interesting:

Novelist by Allesandro Riperi
    WriterPlus by Easy4U Ltd.

Then too, if you don't mind paying a monthly subscription you can use the browser-based software. Some are free for a basic online service with options to upgrade, and others are subscription. The two that interested me the most were:
    Novlr
    The Novel Factory