1. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Scrivener help needed, front matter

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Lifeline, Dec 31, 2015.

Hey,

I may be super daft but I have managed to loose the folder 'Front matter' in Binder of Scrivener (or maybe it is only not displayed anymore). Have played around too much when being just new to the software.

How do I get it out to be displayed in Binder again? I have searched around in the web but have not found anything helpful..

Thanks for all help :(

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Hmmm... Front Matter is a top tier folder, so there shouldn't be anywhere for it to hide unless it accidentally got moved and subordinated under another folder. Any chance you accidentally moved it and put it "inside" another folder? Have you looked?

3. Lifeline

In Binder there are exactly three folders. My book, the Research folder, and Trash. I think I have removed it somehow, maybe ticked somewhere a box that it should not be shown?? :(

4. Wreybies

Like this?
    Screen Shot 2015-12-31 at 2.19.45 PM.png

Ignore the difference in colors and the texture. That's just cosmetic. If that's all you see, then my question becomes: Was the Front Matter folder showing in this project before? Typically a Binder as bare-bones as you mention is the Blank template and the Blank template doesn't contain the Front Matter folder unless you pull it from another project (which one can do). Can you maybe take me a couple of steps back?

5. Lifeline

Okay, I see I have not included enough information *sigh*. I am not yet accustomed to Scrivener so bear with me :(

I don't know which template I used (has been a week back and I was new to it all so could be that I used a blank for experimental purposes, not knowing any better). Yes, your screenshot about shows how my stuff looks like. I am using Mac.

Thanks for taking the trouble.. I think now if you tell me how to pull it from another template it will help me enourmously. I could set up a new project but the current one looks fine so far as I've tweaked quite a few things in this last week and if I don't need to I would like to keep it..

6. Wreybies

Ok, no worries. I'm here to help. I am a Scrivener devotee and I am also on a Mac, so everything should jive. ;)

1. The easiest way is to just open a new project. Leave your current project open and in the drop down menus go to File>New Project. Pick the Novel With Parts since it has pretty much everything that you may want already included. Give the project a simple name. You'll be deleting it afterwards.
    Screen Shot 2015-12-31 at 2.33.03 PM.png

2. From here it's a simple click-drag & drop. Just pull the parts from the new Binder over to the Binder you already have in play.

Screen Shot 2015-12-31 at 2.33.42 PM.png
    When I pulled those folders over, the Trash folder ended up kinda' in the middle of all of them, so I just pulled it down lower. Now you can go ahead and just delete the new project you used for the purpose of cannibalizing its parts. ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    researchib and GingerCoffee like this.
  7. Lifeline

Worked :)

Thank you so much for the good tip, when I make a mistake in future I can salvage something from the ruins just like that!

You just gave me my New Year's Treat in advance :cheerleader:

8. Wreybies

You are welcome. :bigwink: There are other ways to create these folders from scratch, but just pulling them off a "throw-away" project is by far the easiest way. :agreed:

Lifeline likes this.