Scrivener [Paid] 2013-09-14

A cleanly trim word processor with organizational tools for the writer.

1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

There are two ways. One that just affects the document you happen to be looking at, and the other makes a permanent change in all future documents. The image below shows both methods at once.

1. In Document

If you don't see the Ruler on your normal view of Scrivener, go to Format> Show Ruler. Make sure you've clicked your cursor into the document, else the option may not show. In the ruler you will see the triangular tab stops and there is also a wee tiny rectangle (pointed out with the red arrow below). The rectangle is what you want to move. Select all the text in the document (just as you would in any word processor) and then slide the rectangle to where you would like it to be.

2. Permanent Change

Go to Preferences on a Mac or Tools on a PC and then chose the Formatting tab. Slide the same little rectangle in the sample screen you are given. There is no need to select the text in this function; just slide the rectangle. This will change any future documents, but it won't retroact any that are already created. For that, you'll have to go to the first method and change them that way.

Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 5.48.56 PM.png

DeadMoon likes this.
  2. Wreybies

If this doesn't look terrible polished, sorry. :whistle: First time I've ever done one and thought it would be fun to do it for my fave software. :bigcool:

Komposten likes this.
  3. davetee

davetee New Member

Does Scrivener have spelling and grammar checks built in?

4. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Mac version, yes.
    Windows version, only spelling check.

5. Quixote's Biographer

Quixote's Biographer Active Member

But only in English right? They haven't gotten around to adding other languages yet?

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I hate grammar checkers. Spell check I'm good with.

Wreybies likes this.
  7. Wreybies

I can only speak for the Mac version. Spellcheck and default languages in any app are, in general, handled very differently on Macs than they are on Windows machines. On a Mac, spellcheck is a centralized feature of the machine itself, which all apps make use of. I can just start typing in Spanish within Scrivener, without changing a single setting, and within a couple of words the machine knows I'm typing in Spanish and adjusts accordingly.

The below screenshot was typed without changing the default language from English on a Mac.
    Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 10.30.43 AM.png

You can change the default language of Scrivener to a few different languages by going to Preferences> General. You'll see the Language option which is set to Default by default.

Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 10.01.48 AM.png

You can run the spellcheck in quite a few more languages, though....

Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 10.03.30 AM.png

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    Quixote's Biographer likes this.
  8. Komposten

For Windows.

12092290_1187137211302614_1464258442_n.jpg
    Screenshot 2015-09-30 16.25.27.png
    (Tools --> Options --> Corrections --> Download..., and then Select... to select the downloaded dictionary.)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  9. Wreybies

I agree. Spell check is a boon; grammar check is a nuisance.

10. Komposten

Ah, good ol' MS Word. Marking completely random sentences with green squiggly lines that disappear when you right-click, saying "Fragment, consider revising" about literally anything, and complaining about every single colon ever written. ;)

Steerpike likes this.
  11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I know grammar. If I deviate from established rules, I do so for a reason. I don't need or want Word underlining everything. Plus, for very long documents you'll get better performance on older systems if you turn that crap off.

12. Quixote's Biographer

Quixote's Biographer Active Member

Hope it's ok I post this video.

This is a tutorial video which I think explains Scrivener for new users in a very good way. It's made by a full-time author, Jason Hough, who has had three novels published (at the time at least) and writing is now his full-time job. This video is mainly how to get started with Scrivener, but I've had Scrivener for years and I still learned some new tricks. If you haven't tried Scrivener yet, or if you have tried it but didn't understand how to use it, I recommend this video. It really shows off the amazing things that, first of all doesn't exist in a word processor but you shouldn't be without when writing a novel, and secondly makes Scrivener so incredible compared to a word processor (at least to us Scrivener users).

It's a bit long but it's very useful. The tutorial starts around 6 minutes into the video. I would also recommend anyone who knows the basics to skip ahead to around 37 minutes in when he uses a Star Wars document to show off a lot of neat features that are very useful and does not exist in i.e. Word (as far as I know).

Aaron DC and Wreybies like this.
  13. datahound2u

datahound2u Member

I was just poking around on the IOS app store, and I came across an app called Scrivo for Scrivener, by Kairoos Solutions SL. Version 1.0 was just released on 17 December, and it seems (at least from reading the description, it has no reviews yet) like it would be much more robust than SimpleNote, which I am currently using to sync with Scrivener via Dropbox.

I searched this forum, but could not find anything related to Scrivo for Scrivener. Does anyone know anything about it? Has anyone tried it? The price tag is $4.99, so I'd sure like to hear from someone who has already used it before I take the plunge.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  14. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Hi, here I am again. Seriously puzzled. I wrote yesterday through the night and on and off compiled.

But suddenly my Table of Contents looked like that below, not like the usual centered and formatted self at all. Does anyone know what I managed to change?? And how to undo it?
    Mac, scrivener newest version (downloaded a week ago), added title page, copyright, dedication, prologue in the front matter. But that shouldn't make a difference, am I right? And anyway, all these changes were made yesterday afternoon and the compiling process started to go wrong somewhen around midnight (and I really was not doing anything else by then apart from writing)

I tried just making a new toc (from a scratch new document) but that made no change at all :(
    Have to add that the document in the Front Matter folder looks completely fine. The fatal changes to formatting are made in compilation.

Any ideas??

Attached Files:

15. datahound2u

datahound2u Member

You might do a little key word research in the Mac blog at Literature & Latte. The answer is probably already there.

Good luck on that quest!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    Lifeline likes this.
  16. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Does the mobi. format in Scrivener work for Kindle Direct Publishing? I did not see it on the KDP website but under the compile options in scrivener it show

compile for: kindle (mobi) book (.mobi)

has anyone used this format to publish to kindle or is there a better way?

17. datahound2u

datahound2u Member

There are several articles out there on how to do it. Here is a link to a rather long-winded one, but it gets the job done.

I compiled a short story of mine for Kindle, but I just sent it directly to my Kindle Fire.

I hope this helps. If not, you can certainly try the Scrivener forum at Lit & Latte.

DeadMoon likes this.
  18. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

It definitely helps, thank you

19. Guido Dulos

Guido Dulos New Member

Hello,
    I use Scrivo (IOS) a couple of weeks. At this moment I am beta testing the syncing with Scrivener for windows. Well...i think after a couple of years longing for "Scrivener for Ipad" the prince on the white horse is coming...scrivo.
    Scrivo as it is in a couple of weeks will be very different from the current version. In the future version the complete binder of Scrivener is represented on the Ipad. I think first only the folders and the files, but perhaps one step further in the future the corkboard card will be seen and editable.
    At this moment it is the most promishing app for working together with scrivener. I advised the team to collaborate with the scrivener team to make the best writing app of the world. We'll see...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  20. Wreybies

Did you mean to post something, @Guido Dulos? All I see is a quote from a prior member...

21. Guido Dulos

Guido Dulos New Member

Yes I tried Scrivo. The developers are busy to make this app "Scrivener for IOS". At this moment the functionality syncing with scrivener is very elementary, but the announcements of new versions are interesting.

datahound2u likes this.
  22. Guido Dulos

Guido Dulos New Member

/If you like I'll write every week a journal about the progression of scrivo. So many people are like me waiting for a real good Ipad-version which wil sync with brother Mac en Windows.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    datahound2u likes this.
  23. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hmm, well something similar happened. But everything is working fine now.

It happened when I didn't see the quote show up to reply to and had to try again. This looks oddly similar.

24. Wreybies

Yep, this was the other occurrence and it also seems to have auto-rectified. o_O

25. datahound2u

datahound2u Member

How does the syncing work, @Guido Dulos? I think I read something in the Lit & Latte forum that said the "sync" was more of a project replace, rather than just syncing the changes. I'm familiar enough with interfaces to know that a bad one can really ruin your day - and your project. I guess that's the main reason I haven't taken the plunge yet. I'm too worried that I may lose something.

From what I recall, I really liked Scrivo's UI. At least I liked the sample pics they posted in the App store.