1. LA Bailey

LA Bailey Member

Scrivener Question

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by LA Bailey, Sep 5, 2016.

How do you change the default font from Courier New to something else? I've tried everything and its not seeming to work. It's driving me up the wall if anyone has any insight, i would be very grateful. Thank you.

2. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Go to Tools and select Options. On the left-hand side, look for Editor. A sample text box should show up on the right. Above the text, in the toolbar, is a blue A. Click that and it'll allow you to change the font.

You may have a different version than me though, so I may have to call in backup to help you.

ETA: I should note, doing this will not change the font of everything you've already written. You won't notice a change until you add a brand new page and start typing.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

On a Mac, if you want to set it and forget it: Scrivener>Preferences> Formatting. It's the little Aa in the upper left-ish area (see the arrow in the picture). Click that, change the font, and every new page you create within your project will have the font you set there. Sadly, it won't (as far as I know) go back and retrofit pages you've already created. You'll have to go back and do those manually via the onscreen toolbar. This is also where you can change the spacing, the auto-indent for paragraphs, pretty much everything as regard the way the text on the screen looks. If you've already manually gotten one of your pages to look the way you want it via the toolbar, make sure you've got that particular page open when you go to the Formatting window and click the Use Formatting in Current Editor button. It will pull all the choices you've already set on the given page so you don't have to do them manually.

This affects only the on screen appearance, not the output formatting for the Compile function.

If you're on a PC, follow the route given by @Lea`Brooks. The screen may look a tad different, but everything I mentioned holds true for PC as well.

[​IMG]

4. Lea`Brooks

I just knew Wrey was gunna come in and show me up... :p Gettin' all fancy with screenshots and stuff...

5. Wreybies

Question, Lea... I'm assuming you're on a PC, yes? The route on Mac to show or hide the onscreen format bar (outlined in red) is Format> Hide/Show Format Bar. Is it the same route on a PC?

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 10.48.18 AM.png

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  6. Lea`Brooks

Sure is! Granted, it doesn't say "show/hide," but it has a checkmark next to it.

Wreybies likes this.
  7. Wreybies

Ok, thanks, just in case the OP didn't have the Format bar showing since that would also be good to know in regards to the original question. :)