Scrolls of Iria: The Isle of the Sun

Discussion in 'Role Play' started by Fan7asticMrFox, Jun 1, 2015.

1. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

"A water elemental?" I mumbled surprised. "Well... that's pretty cool." I thought, I turned to Shango and looked at the fire at the tips of his fingers. "Well... it would take a lot longer to cut through enough bars for everyone to slip through... however, melting through the lock would cause it to become completely worthless and we could just walk out, if your flames can melt through them, then yeah, we can get out... though, it might be a bit dicey since some of us don't have any means of fighting and I'm completely out of alchemical concoctions that could be used to incapacitate our captors in any way." I said sighing softly.

2. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

Syl Nerrier​

"S-Split your body!?"
    One of the newly-healed young men said. "Uh... I-I don't have a knife or an ax or anything like that..."

"Oh, how unfortunate…" Syl said with a slow shake of her head. A few seconds later, the other newly-healed young man, the dark-skinned, smiley-faced, weird one, decided now would be a great time to show off his flame magic.

"Do you think I could cut the bars with these?" he asked the other young man.

The half-man, Caleb, decided now would be a great time to explain why and how he was the perfect candidate for key-plucking.

"Well-said, Mr. Caleb," Syl said with cheerful applause. "So, that solves the matter of the key. This plan is really coming together quite swimmingly, yes."

Now the first young man spoke up. "Well... it would take a lot longer to cut through enough bars for everyone to slip through... however, melting through the lock would cause it to become completely worthless and we could just walk out, if your flames can melt through them, then yeah, we can get out... though, it might be a bit dicey since some of us don't have any means of fighting and I'm completely out of alchemical concoctions that could be used to incapacitate our captors in any way."

Syl pouted. "Sadly, we are unarmed. If only someone here had a sword or two… or ten. How unfortunate." She shrugged. "Well, looks like there's only one thing to do." She held out her hands, waiting for them to link up. "Shall I begin the song, or would our lovely bard like to strike up a chord?"

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  3. lixAxil

lixAxil Self-Proclaimed Senator of the RPG subforum. Contributor

“Is that so? Then allow me, I know many songs from many lands… I’m not confident in my voice enough to call myself an artist, but I can certainly defend myself on the task!!!” Exclaimed Caleb excited, for him it was just a matter of time before his body got used to the cold temperature and thus free himself from the gap, and being trapped for days, months, even years would be no different than a nap.

He also agreed with the lady that it would be foolish to attempt an escape without weapons to defend, conveniently or foolishly forgetting that he could turn his own arms into weapons.

And then the man begun to sing in a different language. A forgotten language from hundreds of years that only put in evidence how much time had such thing existed in this world.

4. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Love Poems
    Shango

Shango sighed, all the fight going out of him. He made his hand into a fist and the flames snuffed out, wisps of smoke curling through his slender fingers. "So I guess we might as well sit and sing." He walked over to Syl and held her hand and started to hum along to the song they were singing because he didn't know the words. He actually cheered up a bit and tried to smile, but his eyes were still sad. He had liked Captain Isaac. He was old and grumpy and inhygenic, and he cussed a lot, but Shango thought he was funny and he was sad that he was gone.

5. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    (ignore)

6. Arvak

Arvak Member

Max was sleeping in a small cabin through most of the trip but he was still careful, some of the crew on this ship had an off look about them so he kept a small mine by the door while he slept, so when one of the mutineers broke through his door it went off coating half of him in acid, his scream woke Max up who bolted upright in his bed to see the mutineers rolling around on the floor as half of him melted off. He promptly jumped up and shouted "Ha, i knew it, think you could t-..." he looked at the door as two more of the mutineers were looking between him and their friend screaming on the floor, they had a staredown for a few moments before Max dove for his crossbow and fired a bolt at the door catching one of the them in the shoulder. the second one used his buddy as a human shield to catch the next two bolts Max fired, close the distance on him, and knock him out with a club. He beat Max's unconscious body a bit more, leaving quite a few bruises, cuts, and a broken rib or two, before literally dragging him down to the brig and throwing him in a cell with some other prisoners and walking away admiring the new crossbow he got from the little halfling as Max unconsciously groaned from the pain.

7. AnonyMouse

Syl Nerrier​

"So I guess we might as well sit and sing,"
    the fire-mage said before taking a seat beside Syl and taking her hand. He hummed along to the song Caleb had begun, but she could tell his heart wasn't in it. An uncharacteristic sadness lingered in his eyes.

"There, there," Syl said, giving him a soothing pat on the head. "Fear not. All is not lost, dear. We sing, not for ourselves, but so the others will know we stand strong. Here is where the resistance begins." She gave him a sly wink before adding, in a lower voice. "The night is yet young, Shango Ka. Be still and you will be reunited with your enchanted staff before you know it. We will take them, not from below, but from above, as the hawk takes the viper." She nodded toward Caleb. "He sings their funeral hymn. They just don't know it yet."

8. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Prison Blues

The Bard had known better then to throw a tantrum once they’d been captured as before when the so called prince approached her. Being ACTUALLY captured wasn’t what she’d expected. Nobody had tried to have their way with her…….surely they were planning it……surely.

She bit her lip.

Only the clothes on her back and the harmonica she'd come across after being rudely thrown in a cell with these morons; she frowned at the man with the pretty hair's suggestions and plans to get out. They were all lacking in plenipotentiary.

The tears were returning to her eyes and the all to familiar sense of every eye in the room on her settled again, she'd just wanted to learn to make beautiful music.

"A song." She muttered. "As a tribute to our doom." The Bard gave a tearful sigh and blew on the harmonica. The noise it made was that of a dying cat's last squeal causing various people near her to flinch suddenly or cringe.

"Stuck in a prison a LARD." She mumbled in an obviously deep throaty voice as she picked up a large rock and began running it across the cage bars, she blew again. "Captain got killed LARD, being in a prison with idiots got me down!"

This continued on for several seconds. The Bard's horrible skill with harmonica and then her strange off angle voice. "Stuck in this cell with strangers LARD." She sang. "Hate em all, don't wanna get raped by em LARD."

"Don't wanna produce an idiot baby LARD, oh please now!" The Bard wiped away tears. "Just wanted to go to school but now I am going to be made into a fOooOoOool's tooooOoOOoOl." She hiccuped dropping her harmonica and curling up into a small ball on the floor.

This really bites.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  9. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Shango

"He sings their funeral hymn. They just don't know it yet."

Shango gave Syl a real smile. "I knew there was more to you!" he cried, squeezing her hand a little. "When the battle begins in earnest, I cant wait to see what you'll do. Something tells me you've got some tricks up your sleeve." He was about to continue humming when the Bard sang the saddest tune he had ever heard and threw herself on the ground, curling into a pitiful ball.

"Um, Ms Bard." Shango reached out his long arm and tapped her on the shoulder. "Don't distress. There is still hope. And I won't let anyone have their way with you, I give you my word." He looked up toward the ceiling and a tiny crease appeared in the middle of his blood-smeared forehead, a frown on his lips. "If only we could get up there, I could blow these murderers off the boat," he grumbled to himself.

10. mmarage

I listened to the tune the three were singing, or in Shango's case, humming, and then... the sad tune was replaced with the most god awful thing that I had heard in a loooong time. I covered my ears. "My ears! My god... I haven't heard something that horrifying ever since I accidentally walked past my caregiver's room during... 'adult' time!" I said, horror and disgust crossing my face at the memory. "I'll take the whole ship on by myself, just... don't let me hear something like that again, please!" I said.

11. lixAxil

Damn it, Caleb!

“That’s it miss bard, go on!” Said Caleb while clapping… or more likely hitting his free fingerless’s hand against his other hand that was stuck in the wall.

“I’ve heard many tunes in my long life, but this is so different is enjoyable!” Stated with an smile encouraging the girl much not only to everyone’s dismay but also the dwarf herself.

He was genuinely enjoying the incomprehensible horror born from the deepest hell that was the bard’s music and certainly he was blind at how uncomfortable was for everyone.

12. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

The Bard stared at Shango flatly for a brief moment before blowing on the harmonica again. “Don’t you get it?” She sang in the same voice. “They are gonna make us slaves.” Her eyes flicked over to Joe whom clearly didn’t understand high art as he was screaming to be as far away from her as possible. But thankfully gorgeous hair had enough taste to recognize her musical talent.

“I’ve heard many tunes in my long life, but this is so different is enjoyable!”

The Bard gave a blushing smile wiping her tears away. "Than....thank you." She muttered. "I came up with the tune at home while practicing poetry. You seem to understand that its meant to convey strong emotions. I call it The Reds." She blew on the harmonica again.

13. AnonyMouse

Syl Nerrier

There has been much debate in the medical community about whether elf ears hear better than human ears. Does being pointy actually aid in an elf's ability to detect sounds?

Syl didn't care. All she knew was, the moment the 'bard' (if the obnoxious little imp could be called such a thing) began her performance, she was overcome by an overwhelming urge to chop her ears off and burn them.

For the first time in, oh, about twenty years or so, Syl actually stopped smiling.

"They say music soothes the soul," she said when the girl was done. "That was not music."

"I'll take the whole ship on by myself, just... don't let me hear something like that again, please!" one of the other passengers begged.

Syl reached behind her back and took hold of one of the iron bars. Though the others couldn't see, the bar began to meld into the shape of a blade. A handle and crossguard formed. Seconds later, she tossed a fully-formed longsword at the feet of the young man, still glowing red hot.

"Would you please be a dear and cut the half-man into a quarter-man so we can get the hell out of here?" she said.

Macaberz likes this.
  14. mmarage

"Is it called called the reds because it causes people's ears to bleed?!" I asked annoyed. I turned to Syl as she turned one of the bars into a sword, forgetting the awful sounds horribly working their way into my ears and stabbing at my brain, trying to turn it into a gooey soup. "A-Amazing...~! T-That was magic too, right?" I asked, putting my hand on my cheek. "I wanted to become a great and powerful sorcerer when I was a little boy, but... I don't have the aptitude or skill or whatever it is a mage needs to perform magic." I said, seeming a little embarrassed. "Y-You couldn't happen to be able to make a scythe out of one of the bars, could you...?" I asked, hopefully, not that I'd keep it... as soon as I could get my own back, I would. I'd grown accustomed to it, it was like an extension of my body, I felt... naked without it.

15. AnonyMouse

Syl Nerrier

"Y-You couldn't happen to be able to make a scythe out of one of the bars, could you...?"
    the young man asked.

"Whatever do you mean?" Syl said with an innocent shrug. Her hands moved behind her back again. "That sword was here all along. Or are you implying I just make swords at will? What manner of witchcraft is this? Why, if I weren't such an open-minded lady, of such even temperament and good upbringing, I might be offended by such vile insinuations, sir. I have never been accused of… oh… wait…" she squirmed uncomfortably, "Ow, what's that?"

Syl stood up, revealing a pile of daggers, shortswords, a rapier, a longsword, and a sledgehammer, as well about four iron bars missing, leaving a gap large enough for them to squeeze through. "Now how did that get there?" she said as she relocated herself to the other side of the cage, taking her parasol with her.

"No scythe? How unfortunate," she remarked a few seconds later, grinning at the young man. "Such an inefficient weapon, anyhow… as it should be."

16. lixAxil

Caleb for a moment looked astonished, almost dumbfounded. He looked at Sly with curiosity and finally he said.

“You are indeed a bizarre individual Miss elf. I don’t think there is someone more strange than thou here… well perhaps the scared man, which is also an interesting individual” Said the man waving his free arm in a comical way.

“I see you found a gap, did you make it I wonder… or was that we were so immersed in the beautiful music that we didn’t notice it? I bet for the second one. Surely, magic can be wonderful.”

The man put his hand under his chin and closed his eyes in deep though, after nodding a couple of times he said to the female elf.

“Wouldn’t you happen to be a scholar? You’ll see. I’m looking for a method to free a powerful elvish curse that chains me.”

17. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Meek: Damn it all!

Ugh more mages! Why did she have to be stuck in a cage with mages!? Not one, not two, but three so far, maybe even more! Meek held her aching ribs pressing as close to the bars and as far away from the mages as she could. She hated mages. Hated them. Even the good ones became corrupt after time. Magic was evil. No living being could withstand its corruptive power. She'd learned that the hard way. Her hate filled thoughts about mages was cruelly interrupted by the screeching of harmonica. Which was made worse by the spirit man (who claimed to be living being who was just cursed, which totally made that better) claiming it was a work of art.

She nearly chewed out the woman herself but several people did it for her. She smirked. At least they recognized true music when they heard it. Meek sighed as the group continued to argue with one another. Damned Humans. Damned ribs. Damned pirates. Damned ship. Damned fake bards. Damned Mages. Damned...well, just damn it all! I want my violin!

18. #Otaku

#Otaku Member

Evan Major

"As much as I hate mages, I admit, sometimes you guys are useful." Evan looked up in interest at the dwarf. Finally, someone else who shared his hatred and mistrust of magic. Ah well, even if they were created by magic, the weapons looked sturdy and strong enough to hold in battle. It would be foolish not to take such a readily available means of defense.

Evan walked slowly over to the pile, and grabbed two shortswords. He inspected the blades, hating himself for being impressed by the elf woman's work. When he had finished admiring the swords, he looked up, his dark blue eyes sweeping over the people in the cage.

"Well, since we're probably going to be fighting together to escape, unless the pirates are going to let us just walk out of here and take their ship, isn't it time to introduce ourselves? How could I be expected to fight with people I don't even know the names of? Except you, I know your name already." Evan motioned nonchalantly towards the alchemist Joe.

19. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Love Poems
    Shango

Shango was surprised that most of the others did not like the Bard's lilting lullaby. Sure, it hurt his ears like a cat wailing in an alleyway, but it was full of passion, and that's what really mattered, right? Caleb liked the music, too; Shango beamed at Caleb and said, "Your taste in music is excellent, my dear sir!" He held up a hand to give him a high five, but remembered that Caleb's hand was currently fingerless, and decided against it.

His attention was diverted when Syl seemingly started to poop out weapons from under her skirt. And, coincidentally, bars started disappearing from the cell wall at the same time. Shango jumped to his feet and clapped his hands ecstatically. "Syl, my lady!" he cried, his wide eyes full of awe and wonder. "You are truly an angel sent from above!"

"As much as I hate mages, I admit, sometimes you guys are useful."

Shango dove into the pile with Meek and pulled out a big sword that he could only lift with both hands. "Where I'm from we are called sorcerers," Shango told Meek. But even as the words left his mouth he had a feeling that Meek didn't give a single damn what mages were called in his land. So he cleared his throat and faced everyone else.

"Well, since we're probably going to be fighting together to escape, unless the pirates are going to let us just walk out of here and take their ship, isn't it time to introduce ourselves? How could I be expected to fight with people I don't even know the names of? Except you, I know your name already." Evan motioned nonchalantly towards the alchemist Joe.

Shango bowed to Evan with a florish. "I am Shango Ka, I look forward to fighting for our lives at your side. Well, lets get this show on the road!" Without further ado, Shango charged forward with his sword lifted and sliced down in the middle of Caleb's body, grinning like a lunatic. Shango detested blood, but Caleb didn't seem to have any, so there wasn't any reason for him to be hesitant.

20. AnonyMouse

Syl Nerrier

“Wouldn’t you happen to be a scholar?"
    Caleb asked. "You’ll see. I’m looking for a method to free a powerful elvish curse that chains me.”

"I am no expert on the matter of curses, elvish or otherwise," Syl said, with a slow shake of her head. "Sorry, dear."

"As much as I hate mages, I admit, sometimes you guys are useful," Meek commented, as she armed herself.

"Hate the magic, not the mage," Syl said with a smile. "And thank you. Useful is all I aspire to be. There is no higher praise."

"Well, since we're probably going to be fighting together to escape, unless the pirates are going to let us just walk out of here and take their ship, isn't it time to introduce ourselves? How could I be expected to fight with people I don't even know the names of? Except you, I know your name already."

"Well, I am not fond of having my name attached to such sub-par creations," Syl said, with a nod to the pile of weapons. "But, in the interest of politeness, I am Syl Nerrier, a humble rice farmer and goat tender. I hail from Darn. A pleasure to meet you, kind sir." She curtseyed slightly.

"On the subject of said 'sub-par creations' I should take this time to remind you all that a weapon is only as good as the time and effort put into it," Syl said, rather matter-of-factly. "I recommend you aim for the soft bits, lest you discover just how ephemeral such things can be. Block at your own peril."

Not all iron was created equal. Not only had she rushed the forging of these blades, Syl also detected major defects in the iron bars used to make them. Crappy materials plus poor craftsmanship… well, they would be lucky to see these blades last more than a few strikes before they shattered.

21. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

"E-hem." One of five crew members coughed through the dark, staring madly at the hole in the bars. "What the fuck'you doing?" He said brandishing his blade forward, it's steel dimly glowing in the pale torch light. The other four mutineers raised bows and aimed them straight through the cross hatched iron bars. "Throw the weapons through and step to the back, or my boys will loose death upon y'us."

22. Arvak

Arvak Member

Max finally regained consciousness and slowly rose to a sitting position only to yelp and fall back down, he groaned again and mumbled "yeah that's broken" he tried dragging himself up again a bit more carefully and managed to pull himself up to sit against a wall. He brought a hand up to his chest, it felt like something was stabbing into his lung, a moment later he brought his other hand up to his mouth as he had a short coughing fit which made it hurt more, when he was done coughing he looked at his hand "just a...little blood" he said and put his hand back against the wall and used it to push himself up to standing he leaned on the wall for support but he was still in a lightheaded daze.

23. mmarage

"Hoh! I would disagree madam! The scythe is a graceful weapon that is quite efficient in the correct hands! I've used it for over five years now and have been trained by multiple masters of the weapon! I'd say that would count as 'the correct hands'!" I said, feigning indignance, a smile turning up the corners of my lips.

I then turned to Evan. "Oh yes, I do know you, thief, or should I say 'Great Larcenist', Evan?" I asked, clearly annoyed that I was stuck in here with him. I turned to the others in the cell and bowed politely. "I'm Joe, alchemist extraordinaire!" I proclaimed with a grin.

My cheer finally disappeared when trouble in the form of five assholes with weapons blocked our escape. "Dammit... if it weren't for the bows and that gap... I could just make a run for it and draw their attention, allowing everyone to escape and get proper equipment... and I could go and grab my own and make these bastards pay." I thought, my fists clenched.

24. AnonyMouse

Syl Nerrier

"Hoh! I would disagree madam!" Joe said. "The scythe is a graceful weapon that is quite efficient in the correct hands! I've used it for over five years now and have been trained by multiple masters of the weapon! I'd say that would count as 'the correct hands'!"

"As you wish," Syl said calmly. She wasn't going to argue with him. Still she knew the scythe was a trickster's weapon, useful only for catching those who didn't understand it off-guard. It was rare and unusual and that lulled it's wielders into a false sense of security, because most opponents didn't know how to defend against it.

Syl knew how to defend against it… but it would be rude to deny the boy his delusions. He was still young. Let him dream.

"Dammit... if it weren't for the bows and that gap... I could just make a run for it and draw their attention, allowing everyone to escape and get proper equipment... and I could go and grab my own and make these bastards pay," Joe said, spelling out his plan for all the world to hear.

"Now, now, let's not go around calling names," Syl said. "These nice young men are sparing our lives. Would you kindly give the weapons to them, as requested?" She smiled at the mutineer who'd spoken. "I confess, it was I who fashioned the swords. I meant no harm, sir. The boys were getting restless and… well, you know. Boys will be boys." Syl laughed.

"Perhaps if you joined us in song, rather than skulking in the shadows, it would put everyone's minds at ease, yes? Or perhaps you'd like some other entertainment. Our bard here," she gestured to the obnoxious girl in the green cloak, "eagerly awaits the hands of a strong man on her supple young form. Have your way with her... but be gentle, darling."

lixAxil likes this.
  25. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Maiya Gwyther

"And by Darn ease your tension, you're making my shoulders ache worse than they already do." Maiya jeered at the crew, moving from her spot near the back of the cell. She wasn't used to having bows aimed at her, but if they were aiming at her, they should do it right. Being rudely awaken and thrown around like a cornhusk doll by men who didn't show the proper tactics of short-ranged shooting was pathetic.

Where was the fun in shooting something that was locked up and helpless anyway? Shooting humans or another species besides animal had never occurred to her, but killing an animal in its cage was the sign of a lazy hunter.

These men didn't appear to have any want of killing them though or they would have already. At least her time surrounded by interesting folk hadn't been boring. She'd watched them in silence as she tended to the nasty cut in her arm and even listened to the singing without plugging her ears, for Alina's old gentle words played in her mind instead.

"We all start as fools and become wise with experience." Foolish singing included.

"The arrows you're using are horrid quality too." Maiya continued, shaking her head in pure disgust. "Where did you get them from, a con-pirate peddler who didn't know the difference between good and bad wood?"

Love to Write and Kingtype like this.