1. Fiender_

Fiender_ Active Member

Beta Reading Seeking Beta Readers for Urban Fantasy ~ 90k words

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Fiender_, Feb 17, 2018.

EDIT: Not currently looking!

I have a full-length manuscript that I would like some extra eyes on.

Quick description of the story: Linda and her little sister are coping with their emotionally distant father's deteriorating health. Even as he appears close to the end, the man insists on going out at night to 'earn his living'. He had told them stories as children, of vigilantes who wield magic weaponry to fight evil, at the cost of their own life force. Linda decides the stories were real and, in searching for evidence, uncovers two such magic weapons in their house.

I've been working on this since 2015, and I've had quite a few readers take a crack at it. It's been through lots of edits and revisions. Last summer I'd hoped to find an agent, but after a couple dozen submissions without so much as a personalized rejection (certainly no partial or full requests) I decided to take a step back and see what might have been wrong.

Right now, I'm mainly looking for opinions on the characters' development as well as the strength of their points of view in the narration. Of course, I'm open to any comments a reader may have. Ideally, I'd like to find a reader able to finish a full read within a month (but that's not necessary). I'd prefer regular contact and updates so I can revise as the read goes on.

I am open to a swap for a work of similar or shorter length (though I'm not interested in a swap for only part of my manuscript, I'd really like critique on the whole thing). Also. I admit I can be a bit finicky with what I'm able to sink my teeth into. I prefer sci-fi and fantasy, but I'm open to drama and thrillers. Strongly opposed to historic/period stories, romance, and middle-grade (young adult is fine).

If you're interested or have any questions, feel free to post here or send me a message! :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018