1. Theodor Drønen

Theodor Drønen New Member

self-analysis advice

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Theodor Drønen, Dec 27, 2013.

Hiya, sorry if this is not the right place to post this. I'm new here.

I was just hoping to get some advice about self-analysis, if that's even the right phrase for it. The problem being that I hate reading my own stuff. I write in a sort of stream of conciousness type fashion and I can never bring myself to go over my own stuff, so I can never read it until a lot of time of time has passed and even then it kind of bothers me.

Is this normal at all? I don't even check for grammar mistakes, which I don't have a lot of anyway. This obviously creates a problem as it stops me from polishing my own stuff. I just mash it out and then leave it.

I don't know if this has anything to do with me feeling very pretentious if I ever allow myself to think of myself as a "writer". Anyhoo, I'm rambling on. Anyone experience something similar, or know someone who has this problem? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You must learn to self-critique and proofread.

TDFuhringer likes this.
  3. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

I second what Cogito said. Learning to proofread, critique, and edit your own work is not only an invaluable skill, but a necessary one if you want to advance in your writing career. If you recognize that it is a problem (as you hinted in your post) your best bet is to learn self-discipline.

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

In my experience, when the author themselves does not want to re-read their own stuff, it usually means the work is rather... er, terrible :D At least that's what it means for me when I find myself reluctant to read my own scenes.

Cog is right. You have to critique and proofread your own stuff - unless, of course, if you don't intend to ever let anyone else read it. If it's for your own pleasure, then it doesn't matter. If it's intended for the public, at least one day anyway, then you absolutely need to edit your stuff. Andrae above me is right - you need to learn self-discipline.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i ditto the dittoed ditto... in spades!

6. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I'm going to slightly dissent here. One reason I edit/revise as I go is because re-reading my stuff afterwards is boring. Not because the writing is boring but merely because I know it word for word. Even months later, I can practically go to the exact page that any phrase or scene is on. Now, with the stream of consciousness thing, well, I don't know if one could even consider edit/revise as you go. I've never been able to deal with that sort of thing personally. You may want to consider a different method.

In the end, however, you do have to come up with a polished manuscript, and that means editing and revising at some point. If you can't do that, well, you might just as well write for your own enjoyment and put the stories away after.