1. Joanie

Joanie New Member

Self Published w/o ISBN - Now what??

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Joanie, Jan 27, 2022.

Hello all! I self published and printed a book for a conference without much consideration of the future of the piece. Now I would like to showcase in a local bookstore (yes, we still have one!) but I do not have an ISBN and searches about obtaining one AFTER print are coming up empty!

Can you help?

Can I buy an ISBN and then stick it on the back cover?
    Or do I have to re-print?!

I appreciate your wisdom!

Thank you,
    Joanie

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

you should be able to update your book to take the iSBN... if uyou used a printer rather than a print on demand service you will have to reprint you're not supposed to add them after the fact...

that said if you've got a bunch of books and you're doing your own fulfillment they may not need an isbn anyway - its usually used so they can order stock through a fulfillment service...unless the bookshop needs it to be able to scan them at the till of course...if its just that any compatible barcode would do it

3. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Is adding an ISBN after the fact any different from correcting an incorrect ISBN?

From the R.R. Bowker web site: https://www.myidentifiers.com/faq/ownership-and-reusage