1. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

could this be a problem?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Tesoro, Apr 15, 2012.

I just rewrote a chapter of my current WIP, where my mc visits an existing store in Los Angeles, it's a high profile fashion store and a made-up person in the staff is acting somewhat unprofessional in a way, having a hidden agenda and using that to make my mc do her a favour, and I wonder if that could be a problem if my novel would ever be published. Must I really make up a (fake) brand instead of this? Because the way it is right now works so well and a fake brand name wouldn't make the same impact. Is there a way around this problem?

2. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

I think this could indeed be a problem - if you're portraying their staff as being manipulative or unprofessional, it is an attack on their brand's reputation and they will defend themselves. A major brand is the very worst kind to attack because they have lots of money and lawyers coming out of their ears. They only have to snap their fingers and you are now looking at a very nasty law suit, and possibly bankrupcy.

Better just sacrifice your really neat idea and make up a brand name. It can be the same kind of company, i.e. a high end clothing line, but not a real one.

3. Tesoro

Hm, I was afraid of that :( How do one create a fake brand name that sound like a real one, with all the associations connected to it?

4. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

You mean like... Dulce and Cobbana? or Varsucci?

In my opinion, this is best not even attempted. It is a highly transparent attempt to committ brand assassination without getting into trouble for it, but it will look weak and dishonest. Instead of trying to capitalise on the fame and reputation of a real company, just make up your own company and build that reputation within the world of your novel.

5. Tesoro

No no,:eek: I didn't mean creating something like that. I guess I will have to look for a, say, italian sirname that screams Alta Moda :D just have to find one that is suitable.
    Actually I can't believe I didn't realize this until now (I wrote the passage yesterday) but I guess I was too caught up in the development of the story to realize this issue until I re-read it today. argh!

6. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

Yeah, it's best to keep real-world companies out of it unless you already have an agent and/or publisher with whom to discuss it. I think it would be stupid if an agent turned away your MS just because that was their favorite store or whatever, but anything's possible and it's best not to take a chance like that.

But this isn't that big a deal for now. Just give it any old name and if a good one comes to you, use it.

7. Tesoro

Ok, I think I have resolved the problem now, and quite well too I think. Thanks Nakhti and FBN.