1. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Does anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Necronox, May 24, 2019.

Posting here since it's not related to any writing I am currently doing.

So, I was working in the museum the other day, just like normal when this guy donates us this interesting little piece of equipment. Except that none of us know what it is, how it is used, when it was made, or really... anything about it. As you can see, someone has gone through the effort of scratching out all the labels and stickied writing on the box. What little writing is available does not make any sense as it's completely out of context.

I am guessing it is some kind of pressure measurement device -- perhaps for a diesel pump. But I am looking for any detail or information, year, maker or anything any of you might have. Also, there is a little valve that came with it, along with an assortement of springs. The valve has a bleed point on it and the springs have a central rod in the centre. A larger spring is also there - perhaps for the main cylinder? Outside of that there is an alan key and two other bobs which I'm not sure what they're for.

So. Here I am, appealing to the a greater, more knowledgable audience whom will hopefully know what this is:
    [​IMG]

Mark Burton and Cave Troll like this.
  2. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

It's almost definitely a flux capacitor.

3. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

I can't help you with the what, but I think I could narrow down the when by the cabinetry/ materials/ joinery of the of the box if that will do you any good...

Necronox likes this.
  4. Necronox

I'd take anything at this point. I can get you better images of the box on tuesday if you want. thanks for the offer :)

5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Phlogiston seperator?

6. exweedfarmer

YES, special attention to the joints, the grain of the wood, and how thick are the top and bottom. Are there brass mounts on the corners. First best guess from the picture is circa 1930. Mass produced but not in a large quantity. The machining APPERARS to support that idea. Turn the box over and get me a picture of the bottom, that's usually a dead give away.

7. exweedfarmer

Oops, never mind. I was assuming this was an American piece. If it was made in the great down under, I'm lost.

8. exweedfarmer

There is a little bit of writing on the right label, get a close up of that. I can't leave a puzzle alone.

Some Guy and Iain Aschendale like this.
  9. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I'm wondering if it's some kind of valve or proving device for certifying pressurized systems - water,steam, natural gas?

10. Necronox

I'll get those pictures for you on tuesday. :) hopefully it will be of some help

Some Guy likes this.
  11. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I zapped a copy of the image to my ex who still works in the antiques trade. He may know someone who knows someone who... ;)

Shenanigator, Necronox and Some Guy like this.
  12. Necronox

13. Necronox

If anyone is still interested, this is a steam engine indicator. The string is placed on the connecting rod of a piston whilst the valve is where pressure is put in. It records the pressure of the engine of it's cycle. It can be used to determine the power output of an engine at any particular instant or alternatively can be used to diagnose problems. This particular model seems is odd as the box itself comes from 1927 (according to one source) but the item itself is newer and not original (it apparently originates since after 1950s). The box itself was made for a diesel engine indicator - we have a steam engine one. They have very similar and operate on almost exactly the same method.

I'm not a mechanic, so I may have gotten the terms wrong or the explanation wrong. But, thought it might interest anyone if they wanted to know. If you want to know more, you can simply search "engine indicator" and it should come up with a fairly decent amount of relevant hits. edit: (and probably more accurate/detailed explanations)

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  14. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Good going! I'm fascinated by the advanced nature of early technology that has withstood the test of time.

Necronox likes this.