1. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Selling public domain works

Discussion in 'Research' started by Stammis, Feb 23, 2017.

What are your thoughts about updating the language on old public domain works and then sell them online?

This is uncharted territory for me, so I was just wondering what the general consensus is. Also how far should one go with updating the language? Is it fine to rework whole sentences so they flow more easily or just change a few words that we no longer use?

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

What?

As in, "The Tempest Hurricane Petra" by William Shakespeare, edited by Stanley Misericord?

Or are you planning to update the language far enough that you've edit out the attribution.

Having said that, I've seen children's language editions of Shakespeare, as I have of the Bible; so, I'd say you're OK on that front. Just don't expect a Booker prize for it!

3. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Of course! I'm hoping to get a little more financially independent, though. I realise it may take dozens of publications to do that, but at least I'll get some experience in publishing.

4. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Senior Member

It depends on the authors work. Sometimes we need to keep his/her work genuine or in other words keep it as it is.
    In case we see that it would be better to update the language, then we should mention it very clearly so that reader be aware.
    There is no problem with updating the literary book's language provided that we strictly keep to the main idea and words.
    As with ones personal work, I see no problem at all with that. But in my case as a writer, I would stick to what I wrote, even literary. I would publish them online provided that my literary rights are preserved, otherwise no.