1. roadkilraven

roadkilraven Member

Words in Arabic

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by roadkilraven, Oct 6, 2008.

I'm writing a comic script called Arabian Knight, about an Islamic hero in the late 19th century. The trouble is I need a few words of Arabic translated. If there's anyone who can speak Arabic could you translate the following words or phrases for me as they should be spelled.

The Wind

Magic

Mirage

Dust Men

I would appreciate it.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Sorry, I tried most of the sites I use when I need help (I am a Spanish / English and Russian / English interpreter) but the translations I got were actually in Arabic script which I think will do you no good...

3. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I cannot find a direct English to romanised Arabic site either but for a little linguistic assistance you might try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Arabic

4. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Hello,

I know this is a bit old and I'm not sure you still need those but ...

Is it really dust men or more like sand men?

the wind = 'ar-reeh'
    magic = 'sihr'
    white/good magic = sha'wadha
    mirage = saraab
    men of the dust = reejaal ul-ghubaari
    men of the dusty soil/earth = reejaal ut-turaabi
    men of the sand = reejaal ur-ramli

I'm unable to attach anything. So if you need the arabic words, I'll mail them instead if you want.

If you have trouble understanding the above, just say so. Transliteration/transcription is quite tricky.

Hope this helps.

5. Honeybun

Honeybun Active Member

I don't think there's such a thing as white/good magic and it's certainly not 'sha'wadha'
    I agree upon all the others except the 'i's at the end of th words i find them unneccessary...so use them them sans the i
    good luck and any help i'd be more than likely to.

Keep it up ;)

6. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

Well, if you reject the existence of a "good" type of magic for religious reasons, I'm totally fine with that ( Why Islam Renounces Lying and Magic , Why does Islam forbid magic and sorcery ).

But the fact is:
    Black magic = magic used for evil purposes (witchcraft, sorcery). see also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_magic
    White magic = magic used for good purposes, espcially to counteract evil. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Magic (the second link is about Magic in general and talks about both kinds)

For instance, the Zaar practiced in many places (but especially in Egypt) may be considered a form of white magic as it is not "evil" in purpose, and is considered as such by its proponents since it is supposed to scare off the "bad" Jinns that possess the person and attract the "good" one (like a "guardian angel"). But whatever, it's all religious and sectarian stuff and details.

But, I concur. The meaning of the word "sha'wadha" (شعوذة) is not agreed upon clearly, as some translate it simply as magic, some as arabic/traditional medicine, some as quackery, etc.

Why? It is the proper inflection for genitive in literary arabic. It may be unnecessary in certain cases (e.g. at the end of a sentence) but it is grammatically sound.

7. Honeybun

Honeybun Active Member

lol

You know, Manofsteel, when someone says "i don't think", that doesn't mean that person rejects something. I felt by our post that you were throwing it all on me, and what I said has nothing to with my beliefs.

I have no objections on the 'i' at the end of the words and I ensure that they are grammatically sound, but since it's not really neccessary to use as it somehow will sound a bit awkward and heavy to read.

Just my opinion.

Keep it up ;)

8. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

I'm fine with whatever you say and for whatever reason you say it. I was just presenting facts, that's all.
    If you were offended in any way, I assure you it was never my intention at all.

9. Honeybun

Honeybun Active Member

No offense taken pal, so chills :)

Thanks btw ;)