1. Keith Trimm

Keith Trimm Banned

Separating the men from the boys

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Keith Trimm, Dec 24, 2012.

I often wonder why some authors get published and most do not. I don't think it's because there are so many bad writers out there, it seem the competition is huge and only a little room at the top and the ones who made it are vying to stay there. What's the trick to breaking out from the pack and getting noticed? I hope it isn't sitting at a card table at the mall begging people to buy my books. I know most authors get a lot of rejections before they ever make it, and why they keep trying is beyond me, but there must be a reason why Stephen King and the rest of the big guns are where they are.

If you've made it, please tell me how you did it.

Thanks.

2. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

There's various things to be aware of when trying to get published. New writer? Novel should be between 80-100k to get considered. An active (not action) opening done correctly catches a agent's attention more. Then, telling a story, getting it edited, and, if necessary, have a professional editor work over the manuscript. Proofread. Proofread. Proofread. Did I mention the need to proofread?

Sit down and verbally read the final product and see if it seems awkward. Make sure your characters aren't cardboard...I could write a lengthy list of things writers need to do to even get considered. The MOST important is you have 3-4 paragraphs MAX (unless they want to read a bit more, which is their prerogative) to catch an agent's attention-so openings are deathly important. Secondly, the agent is the key to admission. Not many publishing houses will take unsolicited manuscripts.