1. Sean Caruana Webster

Sean Caruana Webster New Member

when using images...

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Sean Caruana Webster, Dec 26, 2012.

When using google-searched images for a book in the making, what information should I put in to avoid any breach of copyright etc..? just put in "Google-search image", or maybe the direct link to the picture, or maybe description & website from where it comes from?
    what if for example this is an item which is for sale... what info should I put in?

and before all of this, is it necessary to contact someone from the website from which this image comes from, or does it automatically give full rights to the owner of the item once all relevant info is put in the book?

I ask because I am writing a book myself and am using one of my books as guidelines, in which there are similar items used for images but there are no references as to where the images came from when included in the publication.

thanks before-hand ;)

2. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Not sure about "Google-search image" (you'd need to find out their policy from them) - but you should always seek permission (or do your utmost to do so) from the copyright owner of any image.

I have recently taken an interest in photography and I would be just as annoyed at anyone using one of my photos without my knowledge or permission as I would be if someone used a piece of my writing without my say-so. Good luck with your search.

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Copyright for images will, in most cases, belong to the creator. At any rate, unless they have been specifically designated for public use, you will need to get the copyright holder's permission in order to use images.

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

You have to assume all images in Google are under full copyright and as such are not to be used anywhere, in any capacity and especially not for profit of any kind, without full written permission from the owner.
    For example, I do photography, sell a bit of it too, and my pictures are easily found through Google search. Still, if anyone used any of them in a book without getting my written permission (they would always have to purchase a licence from me, for their specific purpose) I would sue them immediately.

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

All photos have a natural copyright, no matter where you found them, unless they've passed into public domain. Get permission, and credit the photo "Photograph ©20xx Joe Blow. All rights reserved."

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

is this a non-fiction book and are you going to self-publish it?

if not, and you are lucky enough to snag a paying publisher, they will insist on you having permission to use the images...

if it's a children's picture book, most [if not all] publishers will not allow you to submit your google-gotten illustrations, as they choose the artists... in the US, anyway...

7. minami

minami New Member

This website may be of help to you - Neil's ToolBox

Just fill in the info in the boxes and it will generate a harvard reference for you (In the Article Title box you would put the title of the image, if it were an artwork for example)
    It will spit out a reference with you can copy and paste. You can either place this next to the image, or put it in the credits at the end, as long as it is clearly labelled.

This means no, you can't use an image straight off google. You will need to do a bit of searching around to find the original Author and all that info, otherwise I'm afraid you will get in trouble.
    Without proper referencing your only other option is to create your own images, then you will own the intellectual copyright.

EDIT: You will also most likely need to contact the owner of the image to *double check* they aren't going to get you in trouble.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That may be fine for academic papers, due to the Fair Use rules in copyright law. However, to include someone else's images in a piece you plan to publish, you must have written permission from the copyright owner.