?

Should we have AMA threads?

1. Yes (Would participate in live/scheduled AMA)

73.7%
  2. Yes (Likely can't participate in a live AMA)

21.1%
  3. No

5.3%
  1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Live Interviews With Industry Leaders - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Daniel, Mar 25, 2014.

Hey guys,

So the moderator team and I are discussing the possibility of hosting weekly or bi-weekly AMA ("Ask-Me-Anything") threads here on WritingForums.org. The AMA threads would be from people who've succeeded in the industry is some form or another, as well as from industry leaders. It would essentially be an opportunity for a public Q&A about the candidate, their book/company, and their industry.

Threads would probably be live AMAs, meaning you'd have to log-in at a pre-scheduled time to participate and ask the AMA candidate questions while they are willing to answer in a given time frame (probably around 30 minutes or until they stop getting questions).

I think this is a great idea, but I'm hoping to gauge interest from the community as a whole before we pursue it further.

Should we have AMA threads? Would you participate in a live AMA thread at a pre-scheduled time?

If so, who would you like to see an AMA thread with? This can be specific people/organizations (ex: your favorite author), or people in a specific writing-related industry (ex: freelancing, editing, self-publishing, copywriting).

Additionally, if anyone knows of any good potential candidates who you have connections with or you think think might be interested, feel free to get in touch with me.

Oh ya, and vote in the poll! :D

2. Daniel

I previously posted this in the suggestions & feedback forum but didn't get much of a response. Five votes for yes but no response. Come on guys ! :p Now that this forum is live, I thought I'd bring it up again because I think it's a really good idea.

I'd like to have weekly live ask-me-anything interviews with industries leaders, including writers, editors, agents, and other leaders in the industry. Members online when the guest is in the live interview time slot can personally ask them anything.

I was thinking we could do it at the same time every week. How do you guys think something like this would best work? What time of day would get the most participants? I guess my main concern is not enough people being online when the guest does the interview, resulting in few or no participation. Thoughts?

Beyond that, if this is something the forum decides it wants, I'm open for suggestions on where to start as far as industry and any specific people you'd like to request. If anyone knows someone who might be a good candidate or if you might even be a good candidate yourself, feel free to mention it.

Now that I think about it, writer's we interviewed in the past might be a great place to start.

Edit: I moved our past interviews (from 2006-2007 )from the announcement forum to the insights forum. In the past we had interviews with the following writers: Tess Gerritsen, Steven Brust, Patricia C. Wrede, T.A. Barron, Mercedes Lackey, Sean Russell.

I bet most of you didn't even know we used to do that. ;) Imaging if we had an interview a month from 2006 to this day!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    peachalulu and Trilby like this.
  3. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Ok fine if you ask nicely I'll do it. I'm just not sure there is an industry for smartasses.

4. Daniel

Haha. When I said if you think you were a good candidate I was hoping for something more along the lines of an undercover Stephen King stepping forward. :p

5. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I would participate. As far as the best time, that would probably be a problem since we have members from all over the world. For me, early morning U.S. Eastern Time would work best, but I'm flexible.

Since I'm working on a project that will be self-published, I'd like to see folks who have done that successfully appear in the interviews.

6. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I would love to participate! Unfortunately, most of my internet time is done at a cafe, I might not be able to get there during the interview.

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Sounds like an excellent idea. I would definitely participate if the scheduling worked.

8. graphicsmyway

graphicsmyway Banned

Great idea

9. Daniel

For those of you interested, what time can you most likely participate?

10. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Best time for me would be 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM Eastern Time (US)

11. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Good grief Ed, writers don't get up at 8 am. With the hangovers from getting blasted all day and writing, I wouldn't expect any interviews before 1 pm... at the very earliest.

:crazy:

Rumple and sunsplash like this.
  12. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I often conference with people from San Francisco, usually between 9-12 PT or 5-8 GMT, it's the only time that seems suitable for world-wide. Maybe even Australia and NZ could fit in with that?