1. Kita

Kita New Member

Setting the scene

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Kita, Jul 10, 2013.

A very important part of any story is the setting. It can determine the tone and genre of the story as well as a characters emotions so I thought it could be an amusing game to write a scene. Here's one I can think of off the top of my head so apologies if it isn't overly impressive.

He sat wrapped in the darkness of the room. Smoke rose from the lit cigarette at his lips and danced below the low roof. A street light shone dimly through the covered window behind him while his reflection shone back from the bare window ahead. The orange glow illuminated his lips and pale face with each draw he took. Outside there was only darkness so dense that it looked as though he was staring into the void itself.

Fairly short and not overly grand but I think it suffices for something produced by a waking mind.

2. huntsman40

huntsman40 Active Member

What are you trying to say with this? Looking for people to comment on it? Or add to it?

It's not overly believable as it stands. For example if you are in a dark room then you aren't likely to see a reflection off the window really. Also, either it is completely dark outside or it isn't. You say it's got a street light outside in one line and then at the end say there is nothing out there but darkness. It can't really be both.

I'm not sure how you would say this defines your genre either. This could be a section from just about any genre, if not all of them.

3. Kita

Kita New Member

It is actually a description of myself about a week back. My house has a small housing estate to the front and fields to the rear. The light shone through the closed curtain slightly and through the window facing the rear all I could see was my own reflection.

It isn't really aimed at a particular genre nor do I intend to make anything of it.

In answer to your question, I created this thread with the intention for people to add settings themselves which could be commented on by others users if they so wished.