1. Ezio de Medici

Ezio de Medici New Member

Setting up character names

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ezio de Medici, Dec 4, 2020.

Hi! I want to start writing a book and I have an important question. Can I use names from TV series or shows or do I have to change them? Thank you!

2. Underneath

Underneath Member

You can’t call your character Harry Potter or Peter Parker, but you can call them Harry or Peter, or Peter Potter and Harry Parker.

3. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

Depends on how common the names are, and where they come from. You can't name someone "Doctor Who" but Kingsman has no claim for the names "Lancelot" and "Galahad" - you can use those wherever you want.

4. Ezio de Medici

Thank you!

5. Ezio de Medici

Well the names seem common. They are from the show Find me in Paris and also some from Star Trek

6. More

More Active Member

You can't copyright your name . However some names become brands . Some are so famous, you don't see them as being a persons name . Rolls-Royce, Dell computers and Harry Potter, are brand names . But if you used the names of Mr Rolls and Mister Royce that were not referring to the real pople , it would be fine. If you suggest some bad and untruth things about R R as pople , you might be in trouble . Or, built a car and named it Rolls Royce , you would need a solicitor. Personally, I try to only use fictional characters in fiction , and sleep easy

Ezio de Medici likes this.