1. muckzulo

muckzulo Member

Main Character vs Villain

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by muckzulo, Mar 14, 2016.

Ok, im having a hard time making my MC and VL go against one another organically.

Here is the thing, My VL wants revenge on my MC for murdering one of his family members. My problem is how to introduce this villian in a way that makes sense. Like when watch tv shows and movies, the villian ALWAYS seems to just pop up wherever the MC is at causing problems for the MC. But i keep asking myself "How does this villian constantly knows where my MC is?" or "isnt it going to get old to keep constantly having this VL cause problems for MC at numerous events?"

Like how do i go about introducing the VL and constantly have him and my MC come face to face numerus times?

I dont know if whomever reads this seen "Furius 6" but the villian in that movie who was seeking revenge kinda did EXACTLY what i said at the top.... Everywhere the chracters were, the villian would just pop out and start fighting. I find that tacky in a way lol i dont know why. Like, the only way it wont feel tacky to me is if the VL has a POV and his POV shows him finding the MC locations and going to confront him. But a VL POV is extra word count i dont have room for.

so do anybody know a good way to introduce the villian and create ways for the MC and VL to come face to face?
    or is it okay to just let the vllian pop out at different locations of the MC to cause problems?

2. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

If we know so much about your villain's motivations, do the story from his point of view. No one ever said the main character of every book has to be moral and good.

Or you can switch POV between the antagonist and protagonist. Les Miserables is a good example of a work that does this if you want to see it in action.

3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Just set up the two characters so there are in opposition, they will meet. They don't have to be together all the time, just enough. I don't even know which shows you're talking about. Even bad shows have scenes where the villain is away from the hero, sometimes quite a few. In fact, you could even have that they're conflict is played out indirectly; the villain is killing people and the MC chases after their trail of bodies. That could create some cool thriller/mystery/suspense stuff going on. Whatever you want to do. as long as it works for your goals. To be honest, I don't understand why you're halving trouble. I've never struggles with that. Just stick 'em together at some point. Your the writer, if you really you need to force it, change the circumstances so you can use a natural feeling route. Sorry if none of this helps. I really don't understand how to solve this, it's not an issue for me and I'm not an expert either.

4. Feo Takahari

Feo Takahari Senior Member

My first thought is that the hero uses Swarm.

More seriously, the first place the villain finds the hero will probably tie into his schedule, like appearing at his job during work hours. From there, it's a matter of how much leeway the hero has to run for dear life and what resources the villain has to stalk him. If the hero has someone to protect and can't just up and leave, the villain will have a much easier time figuring out his routine and following him wherever he goes.

5. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

The thing you need to decide is this - Is the book about the hunt for the MC or the fight with the villain?

If it's about the chase then it's fine for there to be constant close calls and the villain having some way to track them (I'd implant a tracking device into someone he can't leave behind like his wife or child. Do it somewhere it can't be removed and have it cause some internal conflict to the MC; he can escape but he has to leave his wife or daughter to the villain) and honestly you don't have to make that all that realistic. We understand there are GPS trackers and phones and cameras; we get what you're doing so you don't have to think too hard. At the end they have the final stand off but up until then it's all about tension and we'll run with anything that lets the villain stay close enough to be a threat.

If it's about the actual fight between the villain and the MC then that's something a little different. It's a very actiony thing and that's a whole other type of book where explosions come out of no-where.

Assuming the pursuit is interesting just say 'the villain put a tracker on them' and that'll do it. Make it less precise than the villain might like; say 20 yards of uncertainty around the tracker, and there you go. You can keep them close all the time but have them actually directly see each other only when you want.