1. WiltChamberlain

WiltChamberlain Member

Several Synonyms Sought

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by WiltChamberlain, Feb 27, 2017.

Hi, I just want to make sure I know all my options here. I am looking for more synonyms for that which is in bold: ELIMINATING an OBSTACLE TO

I have thus far come up with:

Removing a barrier to

Clearing a hurdle to

Also: Is the word "to" the right preposition?

Thank you all in advance.

2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Mr. Chamberlain,

I'm sure since you can score 100 points in a single game of basketball, you can smash these synonym issues.

Kidding.

I think it all depends here on what kind of connotations you want. You can destroy a hurdle, decimate, overcome, smash, fly over, circumvent, break, pass. (Plus many, many more.)

There are ubiquitous options here, but it all boils down to the context of the passage in which this is found and the feel you want from the phrase.

Homer Potvin and WiltChamberlain like this.
  3. WiltChamberlain

WiltChamberlain Member

Awesome. I'm really open to anything. This is a professional proposal, but I'm not opposed to creative word choice at all. For the record, what this clearing a hurdle/removing a barrier to is collaboration.

Also: Is "to" the right preposition?

Thank you. Open to all suggestions.

4. ExpiredAspiration

ExpiredAspiration Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but "to" in most cases would be the correct preposition. In some situations "for" might be the preferable preposition for when you're indicating a correlation between the "eliminated obstacle" and the repercussions of eliminating said obstacle. "To" would be preferable when depicting the more vague motivation for eliminating the obstacle

Example, "to": Eliminating an obstacle to reach success

Example, "for": Eliminating an obstacle for the investigation's continuation