1. We are experiencing some technical issues currently. If you post and nothing appears to happen please refresh your browser rather than hitting post again. Otherwise you will post twice, which is creating a lot of duplicates for the team to clear up. Please bear with us, these things will be sorted as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. severine

severine Member

severine's progress journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by severine, Sep 12, 2018.

Accountability is key.

My current main project is Currently Untitled (and likely to remain that way for a while). It is a story of reincarnation (basically) and the way in which music is woven into the universe and human existence. We cannot exist without rhythm - pulse and orbit. It is split into four (common time) sections, each with their own POV character and plotline, though the four contribute to the overall plot (music) of spiritual growth (crescendo). Music is a biiiig theme throughout. Many references. Music as a metaphor for the human lifespan and the infinite stretch of the universe. A coda.

I am aiming for roughly 25k per section, purely because it seems expedient. The four sections are as follows.

Prehistory
    A young girl named Alba lives with her tribe of early homo sapiens in what will later be known as Creswell Crags, Nottinghamshire - a wide open grassy plain surrounded by rocky hills and, of course, caves. Alba is believed to be cursed because she can hear a symphony inside her head at all times. Though her people are familiar with music and musical instruments, they do not recognise the things Alba hears. She is haunted by the music day and night, and it changes according to the weather and natural phenomena. Alba is well-liked in her (small, close-knit) tribe due to her affable personality and her mother's status as healer, but her hallucinations keep her socially othered, especially with other tribes. During a moot with other tribes in the area, Alba predicts a natural disaster (rockfall, landslide??) but of course she is disbelieved.

UKNOWN STORY

Present day

This story begins with a young woman named Emily who regains consciousness in hospital following a benzodiazepine overdose. She experiences auditory hallucinations (the music) and is sick of them. The music has progressed to a chaotic, stressful clamour - a metaphor for modern life. Medication does not help Emily. She remains hospitalised and enters into various forms of therapy including art therapy, yoga, etc, before finally being given piano lessons. She finds that the music comes naturally to her and that she now has control over the music in her head.

24th century
    A currently unnamed woman is imprisoned aboard a space station orbiting earth. She believes that an apocalyptic level event will occur soon but is continually ignored. This is a pretty un-developed story. Basically there's a meteor and she convinces people to move the space station into its path, thus saving earth. The music begins again.
    Current word count 2500 something.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Iain Sparrow and Nariac like this.
  2. ixk

ixk Banned

I love it

severine likes this.
  3. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Ah, but what about birdsong, the crashing of waves on the shore, the soughing of the wind through the trees?

It is ever so rare when human music approaches the perfection of Nature.
    But it does at times, come close...

4. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

Reminds me, pleasantly, of how the universe was sung into existence in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings mythos. :)

5. severine

severine Member

Thank you for the music, I had Mozart in mind (ear?) when I originally came up with the idea for this story. The rhapsody of playing in an orchestra is one of life's greatest indulgences. It's rare that humans reach nature's perfection, but... the crash of the waves pulled by the moon, the slide of a bow, glissando, down the violin. It's all one song :)

That is, weirdly, something I'd not realised! But it so does! I'll be reading around to see if Tolkien wrote about the Importane of music in any of his letters or essays. He sure did have the elves sing a lot, not to mention the jaunty songs of the hobbits. And the Ring gave off its own call.

Nariac likes this.
  6. severine

severine Member

Tonight's writing accompaniment:

7. severine

severine Member

It's just gone 2am so I'm calling it a night. Uh, morning. Whatever, I'm going to sleep.

Current word count 4094, much of that dialogue. I like writing dialogue. I used to hate it, and I'd avoid it to the detriment of my stories, but I'm gaining a new appreciation for it. Tonight I've been focusing on the part of the story set in the present day (Emily, after her overdose) and a lot of it has been hitting a bit to close to home. How similar is too similar? Is it wrong to put so much truth into her plot? The only person who can recognise parts of her story is me after all - to everyone else it just seems well researched. I'm not worrying about it too much at this point, and our stories are about to diverge anyway. Soon, Emily will learn to play the piano and therefore learn control over the chaos in her head. Metaphors, ahoy!

8. ixk

ixk Banned

hi Severene, I just got here !
    Apocolyptic; Emily is imprisoned, in the dark,dark space. ikr. shows symptoms of "shizophrenia"in this story,- true to character,+sometimes helpful.You will know best your self about the similies in the story which links them.I like plot scene: simpler time in a new world, in the same space. It's good u have an ending in sight- that is some thing I have never really done... I Think.so.when i start2get confuzed or puxzld... but it goes away soon.... I wait...... sometimes that was a bad dream, and sometimes this is.. Not sure... which worlds I Iyk bettrr.... all I know is ikr to being in empty space, apart from the suns +-
    _not sure- do I love it forever here ?A thought,

9. nycoma

nycoma Active Member

what?

severine and ixk like this.
  10. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Aye, my metaphors also tend to be less spiritual.
    I'm finding that prostitutes can be compared to all sorts of things. We write best that which we know.:)

Autumn dusk had settled over the rolling hills, setting a quiet fire to the horizon with smears of copper and crimson against a dark violet sky. But how soon the last stroke of twilight had given way to the first twinkling stars — those jewel-eyed ladies of the night that for a threepenny will whisper sweet nothings in the dying of the light. Such were the breathless musings of Adeline as she scribbled away in her diary and sat by the crackling fire, over which hung an unlucky rabbit on a crudely fashioned spit that Mabel would turn from time to time.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    severine likes this.
  11. severine

severine Member

Hello, thank you for your comment. Emily is indeed imprisoned, literally and figuratively at this point. Her symptoms are almost exactly the same as mine. Emily is the reason I began to write this story. The world is far too cluttered for people like us.

12. severine

severine Member

I believe this person is commiserating with me about mental health troubles...

Those are some clever metaphors though, I like them. Unlucky rabbits indeed :eek:

nycoma likes this.
  13. severine

severine Member

600 words, but they were on an unrelated piece. Probably because I was tired; we took the dogs out for a long walk and today was generally a low spoons day. Watched Thor, my favourite of Marvel's offerings, which always cheers me up, so maybe tomorrow will be better.

14. severine

severine Member

665 words today. Beginnings are fun.

Nariac likes this.
  15. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

16. severine

severine Member

Perfect inspiration from the master himself! If my story were a movie, this would be on the soundtrack for sure.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  17. severine

severine Member

Today's audio inspiration:

18. severine

severine Member

602 words today. Exposition mostly. It's like getting blood from a stone.

19. severine

severine Member

Not written much for the past few days. I haven't been feeling well. Current total word count is 6013.

Nariac likes this.