1. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

Sex robots, a whole new can of worms.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Felipe, Dec 21, 2011.

Even if you can't wrap your head around the idea of loving a robot (let alone marrying one), imagine that for a certain percentage of the population it's not only not fantasy but preferable to relationships with humans. What will that mean for us as a society as a whole?

Although Levy believes that the "availability of regular sex with a robot will dramatically reduce the incidence of infidelity as we know it today," he also acknowledges there may be some potential sticky points. "(S)ome human spouses and lovers might consider robot sex to be just as unfaithful as sex with another person."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/10/roxxxy-sex-robot-photo-wo_n_417976.html

2. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

All i got to say is that this makes Futurama a whole lot funnier.

3. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

We already have sex dolls, not really much difference.

4. Makeshift

Makeshift Active Member

The robot in the article you've linked looks horrible and is really nothing more than a talking sex doll. I wonder who would prefer that to a real partner, or even to masturbation. The buyers would mostly be people who for various reasons couldn't find a real partner. But who knows what the future will bring, maybe these things will advance to a point where it's hard to tell a robot from an actual person, let's hope not. It's an interesting dilemma if the robots become so advanced it's a bit ambiguous whether it counts as cheating on your partner. Would you want a robot satisfying your wife, when you're on a business trip? What kind of implications would it have, if the robots were far superior lovers to your actual partner? Maybe this would cause some divorces for couples, who no longer have other reasons to stay together than sex. I know I would feel terrible if my girlfriend or wife was having sex with a robot and the robot not only has a bigger penis than me, but also uses it better. Maybe people would stop seeking one-night-stands, because robots do it better. Perhaps eventually the robots would get tired of being whores and would seek another profession.

Because this is a writing forum, of course I started thinking about possible ways to study this in fiction. Once I thought of writing about a man who builds himself a robot wife and later in life starts wondering whether she really loves him or is just programmed to. The story didn't work out, but I guess that would be a big issue. Is it possible that in the future these robots aren't simply programmed to love someone, but you'd have to charm them, as you would a human? This is one of those topics where I begin to wonder whether these scientists have any sort of intelligence at all. Building and building stuff and never stopping to think where this will lead or why they're building it in the first place.

5. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Well, if those were the only paramaters she had for a sexual relationship to begin with, I'm not sure you were meant to be together, anyway -- if it didn't count that the robot wasn't you, the person.

I could seriously never feel threatened by a machine, even if it had a seven foot penis and could go on for 24 hours, because it would never be human -- it would never take pleasure in giving pleasure, an it would never be able to love. It would be nothing but a complex vibrator, and should I ever be jealous of a vibrator I'd feel I had a bigger problem.

There are already sex dolls on the market that look very lifelike, although they can't move or talk. The people (men) who buy these are among the saddest and lonliest on the planet, and if they can get some compensation for that through advances in technology, then good. You never know what they'd end up doing otherwise.

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Oh dear..it makes shudder just to think about it.
    Anyone can do anything they wish but you have to weigh out the cost of a robot and what it entails to making one.
    Can you afford it and is it really user friendly long term?
    It is quicker to turn the TV and entertain yourself that way then try toget close to a piece of a metal.
    Metal is not user friendly for the planet because the more one produces metal the more pollution it creates.
    At the end of the day one has to weigh out long term survival against pollution.
    I know which I will go for.

7. Makeshift

Makeshift Active Member

But when you think about, it's not the use of metal that's polluting, it's the sheer number of people on this planet. You can't make babies with a machine and therefore that's the environmental way. Compare the environmental impact of having a baby and constructing a metal doll(I doubt they would actually build them completely out of metal for comfort reasons, but anyway). Seriously though, some people could benefit from sex bots, so they wouldn't catch STDs or end up pregnant, those kinds of people who become teenage parents.

8. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

... Why would you make a sex robot out of metal? That would chafe to no end. A synthetic material something like a frictionless rubber would make a lot more sense, considering you need to be able to go in and out of it or have it go in and out of you.

From the Wiki page for the Fleshlight:
    It'd be a lot more likely that it'd have something like a carbon fiber frame for bone structure with this stuff covering the "bones" and the machinery somewhere in the chest cavity.

On the note of the actual thread, no thanks. I prefer my sex with real women. Having sex with a robot would freak me out, especially if it responded.

9. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Metal is dangerous if it goes wrong.
    One can get trapped and get hurt as you know.
    It is heavy and can go massively wrong.
    The combination of metal and a human is not natural.
    If youare worried about STDS practice abstinence. That is natural.
    Don't create a montrous you want to spend time with because it can go horribly wrong.

10. Cacian

Cacian Banned

what a ridiculour image the ''going in and out of anyone''. The whole idea is a scream.
    Synthetic is a fire hasard . I do not want that around me anywhere if I can help it.
    If I have to I would rather spend on hour on my own then spend 10minutes with that . It is an accident waiting to happen. No thanks!

11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Some people apparently like sex holidays in the Uncanny Valley.

12. Lewk

Lewk New Member

That's interesting. It could help lonely people, better than nothing I guess. Don't really see any harm in it.

13. Cacian

Cacian Banned

are these lonely people incapable of findind other lonely people?
    what is the point of a computer then?
    There is no reason why one cannot find themselves a partner after man invented a computer.

14. cruciFICTION

\
    No, it's not a ridiculous image. It's pretty much the basis of intercourse, which is enough that it fuels an entire industry and, you know, existence.
    And synthetic materials are not necessarily a fire hazard, seeing as making something flame retardant is actually quite simple.

Yeah, there's plenty of reasons. Some people are antisocial. Some people are just shit and nobody wants to be with them. Some people have genital herpes or AIDs.

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

an end to the population explosion

[hopefully] an end to prostitution, rape, sex slavery and marriage

16. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Hence the computer.

17. cruciFICTION

Do you propose we attempt to solicit our laptops for sex now?
    A sex robot solves the issue of intercourse without needing to consult other people, which, again, can be useful for those who have STIs. Even with a condom, you should avoid having sex with someone who has an infection of disease in that area.

18. Cacian

Cacian Banned

No.
    I propose to use the computer in order to MEET poeple.

19. cruciFICTION

Again: "Some people are antisocial. Some people are just shit and nobody wants to be with them. Some people have genital herpes or AIDs." I said this in my other post. It still applies.
    A computer does not get around these problems. A computer makes it easier to meet people, but you can't have sex with those people when you've got herpes.

20. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Challenge accepted.

21. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Ok well.
    If you have herpes then you are not supposed to want sexual activities after that.
    Get yourself cured and if you can't there are others ways like using a condoms and telling people of your conditions.
    I still think the idea of a sex robot is ridiculous.
    To want to have any physical contacts with a piece metal makes me think there is something seriously wrong.

22. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

Oh man, you got schooled dude, you're not gonna take that are you?

23. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

Cacian, having herpes does not stop a person from wanting to have sex, and there is no cure for it. Women have been having sex with "a piece of metal" in the form of vibrators for years. I also posted this on another writers forum and one of the first replies was that it was "an elaborate form of masturbation" which it is. It is a sex toy, plain and simple, one of many. They have been making sex toys for both sexes for quite some time now and are getting more realistic and advanced. I personally would not buy or use one, but if a person wants to do it, it is not my place to judge them.

It keeps a pervert off of the streets... just kidding. As long as no children or animals are involved and it is consensual, what a person does in the privacy of their own bedroom is none of my business.

24. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I am not judging at all..I am trying to epxress my opinion on it without souding offensive.
    I personally think it is sad that one ends up using metal/plastic in order to have sex.
    There are other ways around it like using condoms and letting your partners know about your condition.
    I am sure there is a lot of people out there would rather spend time and company just chatting with another human rather spending it on your own with a piece of metal for the sake of sex.
    I know which I would chose.

25. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

anyone care to get this thread back on topic?