1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Prince or not

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Elgaisma, Sep 6, 2010.

Ok not the most book deal breaking dilemmas lol

My Crown Prince has abdicated his position, should he still be just a plain Prince?

2. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Look at Prince Edward VIII; he abdicated and he was stripped of his title. Or at the Royal Family creed today - if William or Harry marries a Catholic, they are taken out of the line to the throne, and will not become King of England.

But since it is fantasy, you can choose whatever situation you want for him :)

3. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

People would probably still call him "Prince" whether he was officially anything or not - whether ironically or respectful to what he once was. Only the most ambivalent characters who don't care one way or another would just use his name,a nd they're the sort who would have done so anyway, even when he was a prince.

4. Elgaisma

lol I know it's not a major dilemma just went to put his name down and wondered maybe he should still be a Prince:) It's not a huge problem most of the time:) he gets called Soc by his family.

they would still be a Prince like Prince Michael of Kent or Duke or whatever title they are given on marriage. King Edward was given the Duke of Windsor.

5. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

I don't think abdicating the throne would necessarily strip him of his title, but it could if you wanted it too. If your book is indeed a fantasy, then it could feasibly go either way you want it.

I guess that wasn't particularly helpful, but it is your book, your world, and your character. It depends on how his culture sees the position he took when he abdicated the throne.

6. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

Obviously the first response to you question is that it is your fantasy world, invent your own protocols and traditions regarding ascension to the throne.

Since you're soliciting opinions and ideas for inspiration, I'd have to start with a review of history. As Shinn pointed out, Edward VIII was stripped of his title when he abdicated, so there is a historical precedent for such things.

I would hazard a guess that if the heir apparent abdicates in what is perceived as disgrace, he would not only lose the title, but most likely end up a social outcast in the royal court.

If a prince abdicates under honorable conditions (such as an ill/frail prince that does not want the realm to be perceived as ruled by a weak/infirm monarch that might potentially be exploited by its enemies...and thus thinks his brother, the young prince, would make a better King for the realm), it sounds feasible that a benevolent crown, acknowledging the sacrifice of the rightful heir for the benefit of the realm, might bestow another title upon the former Prince, possibly making him a Lord or Arch Duke or something.

7. Elgaisma

He is neither being honourable or disgraced hmm nor is his 17 year old brother a better candidate.

The only titles available are Prince or Sir for a royal servant. Until he abdicates officially there is noone to strip him of his title and can't see his brother doing it. Guess he is still a Prince then lol