Tags:
  1. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

The Villain you Sympathize With

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by OmniTense, Dec 12, 2019.

Not to get too edgelord about it, but sometimes the position taken by the writer/author is simply not the one we agree with. I've found myself on the wrong end of a protag/antag dispute more than once. And just because an Antagonist is the villain doesn't mean that they don't have a valid point. Often, it's because their methods are too extreme for the protagonist or the average reader.

So in what fictional scenario did you identify more with the villain than the hero?

-SIN

Rockatansky likes this.
  2. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

There was a game called ogre battle March of the black queen. Sorry, it's been a while so I don't remember any names I'll try my best

In it, the black queen is considered the bad guy because she invaded other nations and brought them under her reign.

The reason she did this, is because of a growing Empire, who would become the main antagonist of the series later on. She wanted her people to be strong enough to fight them and preserve her reasons culture.

Ironically, a nation is formed by the heroes of that gate who are the main enemies of the growing Empire

Funny enough, some of my stories are inspired by this. But instead the character who would be considered the antagonist is the protagonist or anti-hero in some cases

Edit: then there's Pagan min, from Far Cry, never played the game that I actually like him!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    OmniTense likes this.
  3. OmniTense

OmniTense Active Member

Pagan Min is excellent and I did ultimately sympathize with him. One of my maxims that I've found to be true is that often people get the government that they deserve.

Also, while I've only played March of the Black Queen for a very short time(rental for SNES back when there were rentals), I do love the Ogre Battle series and am currently doing a playthrough of Ogre Battle Tactics. Great answers, btw.

-SIN

Rockatansky likes this.
  4. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

Ogre tactics let's cling together, was my introduction to the series, way back on the PSX, or original PlayStation.

I only played halfway through March of the black queen, I was lucky enough to get a copy. but I have played ogre tactics Knights of lodis for the GBA, and ogre battle 64. Both of them which I enjoyed.

They have really good twists in them especially Knights of lodis. I just realize is the name of the antagonist Empire, LOL.

However, in tactics let's cling together, I really didn't like the twist with the protagonist adopted sister

OmniTense likes this.
  5. Rockatansky

Rockatansky Banned

Funny enough, this is why I'm always skeptical of rebellions in movies. Where the good guys are overthrowing a bad dictatorship.

Because you know, the rebels are clearly the good guys. And they can run it better than the dictatorship that's been running it. But, if you got to see what happens afterwards, you know it falls apart or the new government is just as bad as the original, LOL

OmniTense and Some Guy like this.
  6. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

If you read chapter two of Milton's Paradise Lost, you actually feel pretty sorry for the devil and his other angels that have been banished. It's actually a beautiful view into the corruption and malice of the angels who lost heaven's civil war. I find myself agreeing with him at points. Of course, evil does show through because of the time period and whatnot, but the picture is odd at times, sometimes making the reader uncomfortable in the fact that they are sympathizing with the predicament of the devil. History is written by the victor right? Maybe Milton's tells us a little of what that feels like through this.

Malisky, OmniTense and Rockatansky like this.
  7. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Shahar (Aka Lucifer). El (Aka Yahweh) is such a cunt.

8. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

With Joker. I simply don't like Batman. In any story, ever.

Cave Troll and Moon like this.
  9. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

Well, I haven't read anything where I didn't sympathize with the protagonist yet. I think the books I've read did a good job at having relatable characters.

There have been plenty films where I wanted the villain to win everything and live at the end though. This might be a spoiler so read with caution:

Kevin Bacon in Hollow Man
    Costas Mandylor in the Saw series
    Bruce Willis in The Jackal
    Hugh Jackman in Chappie
    Jesse Plemons in Black Mirror

OmniTense likes this.
  10. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Oh, I thought of another one from the Dragon Age series.

Solas. He's an eleven mage that, in an attempt to get rid of other powerful eleven mages who lived like gods and enslaved the weaker elves, doomed his people further by creating a world where magic is less abundant. Elves in Dragon Age are treated like dirt, living in ghettos and are play-things for any bored noble.

An example: In first game, the MC and his cousin (his name is Soris) are having a joint wedding. During the ceremony, a noble and his friends come crashing it. They knock the MC out and take his bride and other cousin (Her name is Shianni), along with the other women, to their castle. MC and Soris go to save them, only to find one dead, MC's bride-to-be and her friends hurt/mentally scarred and your cousin, Shianni, raped and traumatized, though, she is an outwardly tough woman and tries to not let it show. Horrible things like that are the norm for elves living in the ghettos.

In the next game of the series, Solas is trying to undo that mistake he made, to shatter the Veil as it's known as, but by doing so he'd be killing off (or at least screwing up) all the other races that now call the new world their home - just to bring back what once was, for his people. I'm actually hoping the player has an option to side with him, though, I don't think it'll happen.

OmniTense likes this.
  11. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Tyler Durden. Let's face it, Edward Norton's character was going nowhere. We all need a purpose.

fun fact: The main character of Fight Club doesn't have a name until he takes Tyler's. That's how empty he was.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    OmniTense, EFMingo and Malisky like this.
  12. Nesian

Nesian Active Member

The snake in the garden of Eden got a raw deal. Condemned to crawl the Earth for an eternity and all he did was convince some schmuck to eat an apple. Like seriously God, unwind yo. If knowledge was such a terminal disease, why'd you give us the brains to process it? The whole thing just makes no sense.

OmniTense likes this.
  13. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Well most things in the Bible are to be read allegorically, so, a lot of it really isn't grounded in reality. Therefore, not much sense is to be made.

14. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Seifer.

He's a bad guy, but he really, really thinks that he's the hero.

OmniTense likes this.