Share Your First Three Sentences

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Tenderiser, Apr 20, 2016.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose All killer, no filler. Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Yep in a meteorological case its a small needle like fragment of ice, which occurs in an ice storm when the temperature at altitude drops too quickly for the water to coalesce into hail.

Its not really that important - i might just say ice drummed, or fragments of ice drummed - it just wants to get over that the weather is nasty

2. Friederich Kugelschreiber

Friederich Kugelschreiber Senior Member

I get that this opener is a cliché, but I like it. I don't mind it when authors start off their novels with descriptions of doom-laden weather.

jannert likes this.
  3. EBohio

EBohio Banned

But keep it quick and with bite. I said this before in another thread, one of my favorite openings was by Hemmingway: "And then came the rains".

See the power in that instead of "Heavy rain poured in buckets as if God emptied his full glasss of ice tea after a losing argument with the devil".

4. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Last year Tom Johnson had lost his wife in a horrific incident at sea.
    He had forced himself to his daughter’s home thinking he may not be able to endure the reminiscing of her passing. Maureen his daughter wanted to bring the family together for the anniversary of her mom’s death, a loss that still overwhelmed her.

5. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Not bad. But no need for "had lost", just lost is fine. Last year Tom Johnson lost his wife in a horrific incident at sea.

"He had forced himself to his daughter’s home thinking he may not be able to endure the reminiscing of her passing". (I wasn't sure if you meant the wife or the daughter in this sentence, as the one who passed, I assumed wife but it really isn't clear).

"Maureen his daughter wanted to bring the family together for the anniversary of her mom’s death, a loss that still overwhelmed her". (again, I assume Maureen is the daughter you are talking about in the second sentence but technically you can't make that assumption. It could be another daughter)

ETA: It's a good opening in that we know a guy is in grief still over his wife's passing and now is returning to a place with too many memories of her.

6. Thundair

@EBohio I see your point. It is easy for me to have the characters in place in my mind but reading it back I could see where it would be a stumbling block...Thanks

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    EBohio likes this.
  7. Stammis

Stammis Senior Member

On the highest top on the northernmost path of the rocky slopes, there was a village. An unremarkable village in every way, except for the fact that they lived where nobody else could. Snow seemed to always lay thick around their doorsteps and would isolate them most time of the year.

8. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

You're really not giving the reader anything to hold onto, here. No characters, no action, not even a place we can visualize. Much better to start with a character digging out of the snow, alone because (s)he is so isolated, or perhaps helped by a single neighbor. It would also be good to have some idea of what challenge/dilemma/crisis (s)he might be facing, but otherwise give us some reason to root for him/her.

John Calligan likes this.
  9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

There are some lightweight grammatical errors, but this would keep me reading at least a little longer. There’s a faint breath of fairytale whimsy, and I would be hoping for it to continue.

Stammis likes this.
  10. Thundair

I started a new work called, No Retreat.

Andor had used Kazella to heal him after battle many times. Now, would she heal his son who was wounded in a village raid? Arriving at the cave with his twelve-year-old son strapped to his back, he got down and prepared to enter when his warrior brother Istvan stepped out and said, “Oh no, brother, you cannot bring that child in, she will not accept an outsider to the sanctuary.”

11. big soft moose

big soft moose All killer, no filler. Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

that third sentence is very long - i'd be inclined to break it up a bit.

also the first sentence would flow better as kazella had healed andor many times.

Thundair likes this.
  12. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Two things:

First, there's a couple of instances of repetition that don't work for me. The first instance is, "his son who was wounded..." then "his twelve-year-old son." To me, the "twelve-year-old son" sounds clumsy. Do we really need to know the kid's age at that point? I'd try "Arriving at the cave with the boy strapped to his back...". It's easier to read aloud, and we already know the boy is his son. If his exact age becomes an issue, that information can come at that point.

The second instance is "his warrior brother Istvan" then "Oh, no, brother...". I think I'd just drop the first "brother". "when the warrior Istvan stepped out and said, "Oh, no, brother...".

The second thing that bugs me a bit about this opening is that it seems hyper-compressed. It's like you're trying to cram all the information possible into only a couple of lines, like a newspaper story. This tends to hold readers at a distance, I think. My first instinct when I read this was that it should be about two or even three paragraphs. Fill it out some. Let us know a bit about Andor, about the raid, about how his son was wounded, about this mysterious Istvan, and about the even more mysterious healer Kazella.

But that's just the way I work. I'd start by writing three sentences like the ones you wrote, then smack myself upside the head when I read it over. I would then proceed to expand it on revision into a whole page - I'd be a lot happier with that page than with the original three sentences. My stuff always seems to grow a lot during revisions, alas. I know Stephen King and others say the second draft should be the first draft minus ten percent, but mine are always much longer than the first draft.

Thundair likes this.
  13. Stammis

Stammis Senior Member

Books aren't movies.

14. Thundair

@minstrel Thanks for the feedback. You are correct it needs to flesh out, and I have done so somewhere in the back of my mind. I was on a roll over the weekend having had this project in my mind for a while. Now I will have to get to work and make it readable and compelling.
    @big soft moose would this work as an opening?
    Kazella had healed Andor of his battle wounds many times.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  15. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

"...of battle wounds..." functions as a speedbump for me there. If it were mine, I'd make it, "Kazella had healed Andor many times, after many battles."

Thundair likes this.
  16. EdFromNY

No, they certainly aren't. Which is why the writer needs to draw the reader in with more than just setting.

Bone2pick likes this.
  17. Stammis

Stammis Senior Member

Is that your opinion or do you think that's true for any story? If you ever tried to read The Hobbit you must've thrown that one away, fast!

18. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Member

The Silmarillion is even worse, what a slog that was to read..

19. Stammis

Stammis Senior Member

Well, the Silmarillion is like the whole Game of Thrones series crammed into one book so that's no surprise. And I thoroughly disagree there's only one way to write a story, but we are pretty off topic so I should probably start another thread if I want to continue this discussion.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  20. The Piper

The Piper Senior Member

No need for a new thread, start your story however you want, no rule applies to every situation - it just has to be good. Having said that, if you're going to start with a setting description, it has to be an incredible setting. The idea you conveyed in your second sentence, about the fact that the village shouldn't really be there, would be a better start than your first, which is just plain description and - forgive me - less interesting.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Bone2pick likes this.
  21. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Senior Member

And have a good reason for it.

22. big soft moose

Good call - I was about to say that

23. EdFromNY

It's an opinion formed based on experience as well as the advice of professionals. As with all manner of advice, you can find successful exceptions. That doesn't render the advice invalid.

Bone2pick likes this.
  24. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

While I don’t know if this advice is true for all artistic expression, nor do I know if it always makes a book better, and I’ve read plenty of things that start the way this piece did, but @Stammis, I think Ed’s advice is certainly in style with all the traditionally published debut authors I’ve read recently, and gatekeepers seem to feel it is in good taste, so it is really something to consider.

25. big soft moose

:stop:
    Just in case you didn't notice my previous posts chaps - take it to pm/another thread/the parking lot (red is me speaking with my mod hat on)