Share Your Last Three Sentences

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Masked Mole, Apr 22, 2016.

1. ToeKneeBlack

ToeKneeBlack Banned

Kieran looks out of my window and says, “Look, a shooting star!”
    John runs next to him and says, “Sarah, is that what I think it is?”
    I join them and take a really close look at the sparkly trail left by a flying reindeer.

GingerCoffee and zoupskim like this.
  2. Foxe

Foxe Active Member

Mispost, Sorry! (Admins delete if possible)

Oscar Leigh and zoupskim like this.
  3. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Different. Intriguing. I'm eager to read more.

4. Cat Cherry

Cat Cherry Member

You may already be aware of this, but in case you aren't, "schon" in German means "already." If you're looking for the word for "beautiful," you want "schön" (the o-umlaut is important in this case :)).

5. Cat Cherry

Cat Cherry Member

Okay, I'll play! Break out your editing claws. Here are the final three sentences of my manuscript:

With a wicked glint in his eye, Sean says, “Your turn, Molly-Who-Wants-To-Fuck-Me-But-Not-Hate-Me.”

That’s when I decide I’m sold on the Boston accent.

Dear Chloe, I think to myself, re-writing the draft of the e-mail in my head, Boston is fucking awesome.

Simpson17866 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  6. My last three (about 15K words in) :)

Larrun stared at the man and laughed. I ain’t gonna drop dead, not until you do,
    buddy, he thought. Sael seemed to understand him and shut his mouth.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. Selbbin

Selbbin I hate you Contributor

Technically these are my last three sentences:

And we are all falling. And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! For then would I fly away, and be at rest

But it makes more sense with some bits preceding:

Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me. Our eyes are closed and our bodies are locked in a warm embrace; full of love, full of wonder, full of peace, bare feet dancing on the cold stone. And with legs entwined we lean and let ourselves over the edge, and now we are falling, falling angels embraced in rapture. And we are falling. And we are falling. And we are all falling. And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! For then would I fly away, and be at rest

8. jannert

jannert Who? Whooo? Staff Supporter Contributor

I still can't read that without tears.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    Oscar Leigh and GingerCoffee like this.
  9. jannert

Okay, that's four sentences. But I'm a verbose bitch.

Foxe, Selbbin, 123456789 and 2 others like this.
  10. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

No way, the last thing I would ever think you were @jannert was a bitch. :p

jannert and Oscar Leigh like this.
  11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Benevolent Ochlocrat Staff Supporter Contributor

If you don't mind a bit of critique from a very junior member, I think that using the proper name "Arjun" twice in three sentences reads slightly awkwardly. Assuming it's a male name (don't think I've ever heard it before, sorry) it would seem a little smoother to me like this:

"Arjun’s own body went numb, following suit with the sobering sight. The doors of the emergency vehicle slammed shut with a deafening thud. Finally, he knew why they called it Black Friday."

Of course, being the last three lines and all, there could be a whole bunch of other things going on in the background that make the proper name necessary, so I hope I haven't given any offense.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Benevolent Ochlocrat Staff Supporter Contributor

Well, this looks fun. Of course, since most of what I've written has been flash, I don't want to give too many stories away, but a couple, just for grins:

****Humor****

“Shit,” Yuri said to himself, “He better not kill me,” and slowly pushed the door open. As he'd suspected, the lights were gone, but the full moon shone in through a high window, illuminating the room well enough to see that Viktor was gone.
    “Viktor? Where-” he was interrupted as Viktor “The Dictator” Kovalchuk, the newly-turned were-Pomeranian, trotted, growling, past his ankles, in search of his next fight.

****Psychological****

His eyes moved from the bright yellow umbrella and its owner to Sister Charlotte's concerned face. “Yes, lunch, that's a good idea, thank you.”

His hands, of their own accord, ceased their toying, and dropped the dandelion into the grave.

****Un-fan Fiction****

That many meant that they must've breached the Wall. Help would be on the way, but guarding the Sleigh until takeoff would take first priority.

Time runs funny up here; it was going to be a long five minutes.

Thanks for looking.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. jannert

This ending is taken out of context, as you recognised, judging from your last sentence. Normally you're right about repeating words, but sometimes the music of the piece means repetition is needed. I'd let it go on this one. We don't know what has led up to it. Generally, people want their last few lines to resonate, and maybe the repetition makes this happen. You wouldn't want this to be happening throughout the piece, though.

14. jannert

You haven't seen me in full flight! :)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  15. jannert

This thread is fun. It makes me want to read the stories.

I understand why a lot of emphasis gets placed on the first three sentences, but I really do believe the last three are just as important. It's the lasting impression you take away from a book that will lead you to read another by the same author. And an ending can do so much to stamp that impression on your mind.

I have had the great pleasure and privilege of beta-reading @Selbbin's entire MS, and I can assure you that ending (and the whole story) is something I will never forget. The overriding emotion I felt as I read those lines for the first time was of huge emotional relief—which was unlooked-for, but absolutely right. The poetry in those concluding lines is stunning.

There are manymanymany authors on this forum whose novels are destined for publication, I'm sure. However his stands out, at least for me. I think he will win literary prizes with this story. It really is that good.

16. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Um, I don't know about you guys, but I plan on charging $15.50, per person, to get to read my last three sentences.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  17. 123456789

I definitely agree- from all the excerpts I've read on the workshop, it reads like the sort of novels they made us read in high school.

18. jannert

I do hope that's not meant as a dig, because he certainly doesn't deserve one.

The problem with the books we are 'made' to read in high school, at least in my opinion, is that we weren't mature enough to appreciate them as teenagers. I mean, that's the age group that reads Twilight, etc. I've gone back and re-read several of the books I disliked in high school and felt very differently about them as an adult.

I'm going to re-tackle The Sound and the Fury soon, to see if that has changed. It's the one book I 'had' to read in high school that I found totally unreadable. (There were others I wasn't fond of as well.) I hated it, because it made no sense to me then. I think I'll have a different take on it now.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  19. 123456789

It reminds me of the sort of (more modern) novels we read in high school. A lot of those books did win literary prizes.

jannert likes this.
  20. jannert

I'm interested in the topic, because as a very ex English teacher I cringe whenever older people say they hated what they were forced to read in high school. I think English teachers need a major re-think on what they force students to read. Just because a book is worthy doesn't mean a teenager between the ages of 14 and 17 will enjoy or appreciate it. The important thing is to get students to read and appreciate what they read, so I think choosing the 'classics' needs to be done more carefully than it sometimes is. The last thing you want is students going away 'hating' what they've had to read, or even hating the idea of reading altogether.

However, I don't want to derail this last sentences thread, so I'll stop now.

Simpson17866 and 123456789 like this.
  21. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I swear, nothing could make me reread The Old Man and the Sea. Nope, not gonna happen. But I loved Whuthering Heights, even then, and The Tale of Two Cities. Teachers just need to pick the right books.

Simpson17866, Oscar Leigh and jannert like this.
  22. 123456789

I loved some of the books I had to read in high school. 1984, if you couldn't guess. Also, heart of darkness. Chaucer was cool. Shakespeare, obviously. But they also introduced more modern works, post modern or something, like Catcher in the Rye, ugh.

jannert likes this.
  23. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I think it's great that your first three and last three sentences are directly related: like, they could follow on from each other and make a mini-story.

It's pre-coffee. I can't explain. I just like the symmetry, like the story's come full circle. Neat.

Oscar Leigh and jannert like this.
  24. jannert

Yes. It's one of the things I LOVE about a novel. When things you didn't expect come full circle. This is one of the things you can do when revising your beginning. Make it somehow tie up with the ending. Makes a big impact.

25. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

It's the message of the prologue. The title is the expectation, the appearance, and the last line is the truth that hides underneath.

Simpson17866 and jannert like this.