1. Vonlucifuge

Vonlucifuge New Member

If something alien were to be spotted on the moon

Discussion in 'Research' started by Vonlucifuge, Feb 13, 2013.

Hi,
    Lets say NASA observed something strange that appeared on the moon and we knew darn well it was an alien spacecraft.

If a manned crew were to be sent up:

Would the personnel roster be similar to the folks that go up in the shuttle even if there were to be a moon walk?

If we decided on a military expedition (like the colonial marines in Alien) what rank of personnel and what branch of service do you think would be most likely to go?

Thank you, I appreciate any help!

2. Xatron

Xatron New Member

Most likely they would be the equivalent of Black Ops of the country that sent them since it would definitely be a race between many different countries. Most likely accompanied by one or two scientists to deliver a preliminary study of the object.

3. Vonlucifuge

Vonlucifuge New Member

Thanks so much for the info so far.

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I would expect so, since they are the closest we have to people who would have adequate background knowledge and training. But, especially in the beginning, most of the NASA astronauts came from the military -- generally people who had aeronautics experience. I'd say the most likely candidates for the situation would be from the Navy or Air Force, if the government felt the need to send someone specifically with a military background or if for some reason they didn't have enough available astronauts to send on such a mission. They might also send someone with extensive scientific knowledge, such as a professor who might be involved in SETI or who is otherwise interested in extra-terrestrial life. There's also a possibility they'd send up a European or Israeli astronaut, or even a Russian astronaut, especially one who has been on the space station, since they've been out in space for the longest sustained periods of time, which might be useful in this sort of expedition.

5. Vonlucifuge

Vonlucifuge New Member

Great insight, thank you very much.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Research? This is pure speculation. The answer is a story.

You want it to believable, and that is creditable. Do your technical research well, and write the story to make the reader believe.

7. Vonlucifuge

Vonlucifuge New Member

Exactly. I just want the 'correct players', for lack of a better term, in place. I'm thinking the story will take place in the present. Maybe a few years ahead tops.

Thanks

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, but the 'correct players' can be just about whatever you want. It depends on who is in control of the mission and for what purpose. It depends on the political, social, and economic conditions you posit.

You have to sell it well, but that is a matter of research and a well-told setup. Maybe a wealthy industrialist can grease the right palms to make a private mission possible. Or maybe a multinational alliance forms to launch a military threat assessment mission. Maybe a superpower launches a secret mission in hopes of gaining technology to assure superiority, and maybe more than one superpower has the same idea.

It's up to you. Choose a scenario you believe you can sell.

9. cswillson

cswillson New Member

"2001 A Space Odyssey" Arthur C Clark, Stanley Kubrick.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all of the above!

sounds like it could make a good novel or blockbuster action flick...

11. Vonlucifuge

Vonlucifuge New Member

Cogito you said ' Maybe a superpower launches a secret mission in hopes of gaining technology to assure superiority'. That's what I am considering for this tale with the USA being the superpower.
    I know I can make up any combination of personnel and I do not want to bore readers with an instruction manual on the protocol of moon travel, I just want to have the makeup of the crew somewhat realistic. BTW Cogito you have some great ideas and seem to know your stuff, I appreciate your replies.

Thanks everyone and feel free to keep the ideas rolling.

12. Paradigm-shift

Paradigm-shift New Member

Here is my 2 cents, I would be thinking Joint Special Operation Command (JSOC) for my moon team, with a couple experts in the mixture. Supported by the Air Force Space Command (Which in some part runs NASA, since technically NASA is part of the DOD)

Now who would lead a Space bound special operations team, I don't know. I would think a Major (I'm Army) or captain leading a team on the surface, and a Colonel would most likely Command any ship heading to the moon.

13. Vonlucifuge

Vonlucifuge New Member

Excellent info, thanks!

14. Paradigm-shift

Another thing and I'm not sure on the name here America has two space programs Nasa one, and there is another call the national office of stertegic recon (excuse my spelling)
    They are linked closely with air force space command, handling key hole sat's, military GPS systems that handle drones (PLS system), some say they are MJ-12 in my story they are MJ-12.

15. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Sadly, I think our government has slipped to the point that anything they cannot spin must be contained. And if it cannot be contained or spun, then it is stomped out.

I heard something akin to this last night on Coast-to-Coast. I listen to the show because I'm up, sometimes working, but the real entertainment is the people. Last night they interviewed a woman who claims to have definitive DNA evidence of Bigfoot.

During the program, the host asked her about another "researcher," a guy who claims to have shot several of them. He turned his sample--a hunk of meat--over to a DNA lab, that proffered the sample had human DNA.

Here's where our 'modern mindset' kicks in. The conversation shifted away from "living beings" to proof, belief by peers, and the possible ramifications of shooting something human. Nowhere was there a discussion of science, research, or an increase of knowledge.

The main thrust was either ignore the research, spin it, flame the believers, or kill off the specimens.

My view is that if a landing party went anywhere to face possible beings, one of the tools they would take would be a flame-thrower to make sure nothing came back to waiting news teams.

16. Vonlucifuge

Vonlucifuge New Member

Awesome input, thank you to all.

17. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

I think if NASA saw something they wouldn't telll us so we'd never know but if some rogue NASA member blabbed it and showed proof that couldn't be denied that's another story. There would definately be a world wide super power struggle to go get it before the public find out what it really is. For example; What if the USA already has arms on the moon aimed at Russia, Obama is hardly going to assemble a worldwide posse to go up is he? The only people he could send up are the original people that put it there. But what if they were killed by the CIA straight after the mission to ensure their silence? What if they all died of very mysterious "accidents" that could only be connected by the CIA... and your MC...

Just the idea of this is a great story and as someone said it's hollywood blockbuster all over. You should have great fun researching everything you can on this, who knows? You might have to answer this stuff on TV talk shows and at premieres etc!!!

18. Paradigm-shift

While I don't want to get in to specifics of my story (which reached over 40,000 words tonight yeah!) Paradigm-shift: The Disclosure trilogy. I take modern UFO mythlogy and turn it into a story, think Nazi's, the south pole, rosewell, Nasa, MJ-12, the battle of L.A. (the WW2 battle), the greys, the corparation, the dark side of the moon. That story spans from 1917-to present. Speaking of coast to coast I'm going to end the third story in this trilogy with a story they broke. The Marines that are suppose to be MIA after finding an ancient Vimanna buried in Afganistan, just a side note. Inside this 1917 to present day story is a story that spans a couple months set in the 32nd centruy (where my main female role Maria Orsic) playes important parts in both the past, present, and the future. In the second story of the the disclosure trilogy I set up 3 different space programs, NASA, NRO (National Reconnaissance office which is what I was talking about above) and another barried deep in side the newly created air force.

19. Vonlucifuge

Vonlucifuge New Member

Very cool. 40,000 words, geez. I've been lucky to hit around 1,700 recently trying to begin this new story. This is my first shot at a novel length story and although I somewhat outlined the whole thing, I've tried three different points of attack to kick it off and am not happy with any of them. Ah well, I'll keep plugging away and thanks again to everyone for your input.