1. Bodiam

Bodiam New Member

Sheffield England calling to say hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bodiam, Sep 6, 2010.

Just thought I would drop in here to say hello and introduce myself although I have already reviewed several pieces in other Forums.
    Like the rest of you I like to write and have joined partly to get some great tips and learn something, I also hope to utilise skills to help me in my part-time literature degree. I am currently studying Creative Writing.

I know I can write and have some creative insticts. That does not mean I am any good and hope to test my skills with you and get some constructive feedback. Having seen some of the feedback I know it may be brutal at times so I will brace myself.

As for Genres, well that's a bit tricky as I have great ideas that belong to sci-fi, thrillers, historical, childrens, poetry and non fiction. What I won't be doing is full on romance, or comedy. Actually I really am funny but only spontaneously but when I pre-plan jokes like at a meeting or presentation, I end up with that embarassed silence while I look around for approval.

Anyway, hope to get to know some of you soon.

Regards
    Bodiam

2. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Welcome Bodiam. :)

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

LOL with title of your post I am so tempted to offer null points :) Anyway hello.

4. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

See, my first question was going to be, "Like Bodiam castle!?" but Sheffield is a little far from Kent, if my mental geography hasn't essploded.

:D

Welcome!

5. Bodiam

Bodiam New Member

Well I could not just leave my titleas hello and I am happy to accept 'null points' as then the only way is up (hopefully).

6. Bodiam

Bodiam New Member

Bingo - you are indeed Melzaar the Almighty as it is a reference to that wonderful castle in Kent. Its also a name that means absolutely nothing unless you understand the reference. I also think Bodiam has a nice ring to it.

7. Elgaisma

actually hi and hello is probably the most different and original post lol:)

Nice to meet you anyway suppose could offer you 12 points but then you can only go down:)

8. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Hello and Bodiam welcome! :D

9. Eunoia

I live in Kent and I haven't heard of Bodiam castle..

Actually, now I think about it I think it vaguely rings a bell.. maybe.

10. Zane

Zane New Member

Welcome :D

11. Melzaar the Almighty

Wrong bit of Kent, maybe? It's very near Rye, which is on the border between Kent and East Sussex. :p I'm actually a Sussex person myself, but from Hastings, which is pretty much the nearest town in E Sussex to Kent and Bodiam. I live close enough that we've done a ton of school projects on that castle - I know every inch of it. :D

12. Eunoia

Aha! I googled it and it says it's East Sussex and therefore not Kent.

13. Melzaar the Almighty

Seriously? Huh. I really need to look up where Kent starts and Sussex ends... I always got the impression that there was really nothing more than a few hills north/east of Hastings before we hit Kent.

Ah well, more awesome things to claim in the name of my home county. :D

Edit: Yeah, I googled it... fail on Melly's part. 3rd image result before I could even notice a good map was Bodiam. :p

14. Eunoia

I have no idea where Kent ends and Sussex starts or whatever. :p I really should learn more about this area.

15. Bodiam

Bodiam New Member

Thank you all for your welcome. For those of you a little curious I suggest you google Bodiam Castle and click on images for what is possible the definition of a romantic castle image. Also I think someone has moved the place since I last went as it is actually in East Sussex and not Kent.

Bodiam

16. Bodiam

Bodiam New Member

Bodiam is indeednear Rye though inland somewhat. Great start to my time in WritingForums, starting with an introduction then straight into history and geography lessons.

17. Eunoia

Bodiam castle looks rather nice, I've added it to my list of places to visit.

Moved? How can you move a castle?! :S

Of course, your introduction is being very educational! Now we'll all come to you with our history and geography issues. ;)

18. Elgaisma

I live in the North East of Scotland castles kind of lose their attraction when there is one behind ever tree:) However I have been to Bodiam castle had a friend at college who was a tour guide.

19. Bodiam

Bodiam New Member

Bodiam is a good place to visit and if you click on English Heritage they hold events in the castle. Nearby is another unusual castle called Scotney and garden lovers would love Great Dixter and Sissinghurst two gardens of international importance. Nearby Romney Marsh has some little changed medieval churches with wall paintings and the beaches that way actually have sand on them. I wonder if I should ask East Sussex and Kent tourism for a fee?

20. Eunoia

Haha, you should. ;)

21. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi and welcome

22. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

Greetings and welcome :)

23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Bodiam, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

24. daisydaisy

daisydaisy New Member

Welcome, from Shropshire UK!!!

25. Zane

Zane New Member

Greetings from Portugal :D