4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Not sure.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Cicero

Cicero Banned

Astral Projection / Out of Body Experiences

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cicero, Mar 7, 2008.

I just saw a topic on Bigfoot, so I thought what the heck. If you don't know what Astral Projections or Out of Body Experiences are, they're supposedly events where the consciousness leaves the physical body to roam the various planes of existence. Sometimes that means floating around the real world as, you guessed it, a "ghost". Sometimes that means doing whatever it is you would do in the "Higher" or "Lower" Planes, often called the "Astral Planes."

You can find more on it here. -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_Projection

It fascinates me to no end. I've had a few experiences, two involuntary and I think two more that I tried to induce on my own. They were all in the "real" world, and were too short for me to fully realize what was going on. I don't know if those experiences were real or if they were just all in my mind.. but if they were, then my mind created something that felt more real than sitting here typing this message to all of you feels right now.. and if my mind can do that, then how do I know anything at all is real?

So what do you think?

2. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure, I've never really heard much about them, but this sort of thing fascinates me hugely, I'll have to read more. I do believe in ghosts and an after life of some sort, so I probably wouldn't be too skeptical about something like this.

3. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

:D

Are these similar to when someone dies and supposedly leaves the body, hanging around the scene, and once they are revived they're able to tell everything that was said and went on when their brain activity was dead? (I'm sorry that sentence was so long and incoherent)

Also, have you had lucid dreams before?

4. MarcG

MarcG New Member

The problem with experiencing this is that since your mind essentially takes the input of your senses and "tells you" what's there, it can make anything 'real'. Hence things like insanity. :D

5. Cicero

Cicero Banned

Yeah, that's another instance of it. I've never had a lucid dream. I've had some pretty amazing dreams where I felt conscious, but then I realized I wasn't when I finally woke up.

Yeah, I've thought about this. Big debate could begin, but I won't. Useless to. :p

6. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I believe in the mind being aware of its own presence in "near-death experiences" and somebody hearing what people are saying. Yet, when they say they saw what was happening I belive it's more so there mind dreaming what it would look like to compensate for what's being heard. Man, it seems like I'm always debunking these theories, I almost feel like a party-pooper. :rolleyes:

7. Cicero

Cicero Banned

I don't know what your definition of debunk is?! :eek:

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

then you haven't done much reading of accounts of such phenomena... in too many of the cases, doctors/nurses/emergency personnel have corroborated the exact circumstances being reported and what was said, so it couldn't be merely imagination/dreaming...

as for out of body stuff, i think my youngest daughter has been able to do that since she was about 7... it used to happen on its own, for a few minutes at a time, but when she was older, she told me she found she could actually cause it to happen... but, wanting to have as 'normal' a life as possible, she doesn't want to deal with it or discuss it...

9. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

in my culture everyone believes that there are reincarnations and the like but for me personally i dont believe that there is enough physical evidence to back it up. i sort of agree with valianceinend.

10. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

:cool::cool: