1. Adam Kalauz

Adam Kalauz Member

Point of View Question

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Adam Kalauz, Feb 4, 2017.

I'm writing a novel in 3rd person, with multiple characters, focusing on two main characters (protagonist and antagonist). The book takes the occasional turn to secondary characters POV, to move the plot forward.

With this as the context, I really want to start the first chapter with a secondary character talking to the protagonist, from the SC's POV. It's a nice way to introduce the protagonist, and lets me do some nice things with setting up plot.

I can write it from the Protagonist's POV, but it's not as good.

However, it feels like it will be 'professional suicide' in terms of finding an agent? Any opinions?

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Most of the time, readers are going to assume the first POV character is the main character, unless it's a prologue. It's likely be confusing and disorientating when that character fades into the background.

I would worry less about agents and more about readers (since agents are also readers).

Elven Candy and Adam Kalauz like this.
  3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    It was done very effectively in The Russia House, by John LeCarre.

Hmm, thinking on it, not third person exactly, there was a narrator who was a minor character in the story, but the book publisher (? it's been a while) Nicky takes a chapter or two on center stage before we get introduced to the real main character.

Adam Kalauz likes this.
  4. DueNorth

DueNorth Senior Member

I'm certainly no expert on this (and I am in 3rd draft of my own novel using Third Person Multiple POV). My reaction would be to not do it. I agree with @Tenderiser that the reader may begin identifying with the 1st chapter POV character from the get-go. I am curious about what you think you can not show through dialogue or interaction (or even in a later chapter) that has you leaning towards doing it this way? But, the main point I want to make, from the perspective of being midway thru my 3rd draft, is that your first chapter may end up to look/read quite differently than how you first do it. Mine is probably 50% changed 1st draft to 3rd draft. One of the most important things I've learned about writing is that much of my best work comes in revision, not the first words on the screen. But short answer, without knowing all your rationale, I wouldn't do it. (But then a minor character in my 1st draft is now one of three major POV characters in my 3rd draft--so let it evolve.)

Elven Candy likes this.
  5. Adam Kalauz

Adam Kalauz Member

Thanks!

I'm actually on my 4th draft, and this has evolved over time. Actually, this intro was written as part of the second draft, which saw a lot of cutting, as well as the need for a new start. :) But maybe it needs to evolve some more. If I think I can get away with it, if I think I can start the book like this without people getting confused and lost, I think I will. Big if.

What I get from the chapter is:
    - I introduce a critical plot item related to the secondary character (an artificial hand) with the very first line of the book.
    - I get a really interesting outside point of view into the main character's psyche and thinking, as they have a fight about something.
    - The Secondary Character appears to be utterly superior to the main character. I like the first chapter as a way to introduce that, and the way he's a little bit pitied.

BUT

The whole point I'm asking the question is I'm thinking about whether to re-do it. Again. :)

I'll see if I can grab it or at least take a look at the intro! Thanks for the idea.

Thanks! I've had a number of friends read it, and most of them didn't mention it, (one liked that it sucker-punched him) but of course feedback from friends is always going to be coloured nicey-nice.

6. DueNorth

DueNorth Senior Member

With that clarification (sounds like you've worked long and hard on this), my take is that you've already decided what you want to do--just do it. You're the writer. No one else can decide for you. Once you get to finished product (finished enough anyway) then consider hiring a professional editor (a developmental editor, not a line by line GAS editor). They generally charge by the page or the word ($3-5 page or $.01-.05/word depending on how successful they've been helping writers get to publication and how polished your novel already is). Or, maybe it is in a form to do that now (IF you can afford it, and truly think that your project has the potential to get published.)

7. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Personally, I was in a similar situation with my first book and I wound up ditching the 2nd POV. My editor found it distracting because I was using my 2nd MC so infrequently that it came off as confusing and annoyingly convenient when his POV would pop in. Not saying that's what you're doing, just when it was pointed out to me objectively in my own writing I could see that I was using the 2nd MCs POV as a crutch, not because it really added anything valuable to the story. Once his POV was removed the pacing of the story improved dramatically.

I've avoided this pitfall going forward by now thinking very hard about whether the story I want to tell is better told through single or dual POV before I even start writing. Before I just always used dual POV by default in longer works as a habit rather than it being a thoughtful decision.

DueNorth likes this.
  8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I never like this. I remember reading the first chapter of a friend's book, years and years ago. It was from the point of view of the leader of a wagon train of migrating people. The train was attacked, the leader was helping defend, and a bunch of Big Shiny Heroes came to rescue them. I was really dismayed when the author said that the book was about the Big Shiny Heroes and the wagon train leader was never going to be seen again.

I realize that this is a smaller investment in an unimportant character, but it would still put me off.

Laurin Kelly and Elven Candy like this.