"Shined" versus "shone"

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by jannert, Aug 23, 2016.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Don't you mean the Great British Bake Off (or has it been renamed for stateside viewers ?)

Personally as a Brit I say Basil Bazz ill , and Risotto Rizz ott oh

and yes dough is left to prove , it isn't left to proof (proof is a noun in the UK not a verb, although we do accept proofing as a short hand for proof reading or making something proof against something as in water proofing)

jannert and Oscar Leigh like this.
  2. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

Vive la différence!

Wreybies likes this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I don't know about you, but I say risotto like rizotto. Why would you pronounce it otherwise? The s is like rise, and the rest is obvious. On basil I am equally in agreement with @big soft moose.

4. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Based on the phonetics above, it's probably closer to say that I pronounce basil "BAY-zill" and risotto "riz-OH-toe".

And apologies on the Great British Baking "Challenge" - PBS actually airs it here in the US as The Great British Baking Show. Not sure where I got challenge from.

@big soft moose, we also use the word proof as in your two definitions, but also use it for allowing dough to rise. I'd never heard of it referred to "proving" before watching TGBBS, and I've been baking for many years.

This thread reminds me of the end of the movie Love, Actually, where one of the British characters who could never get a girl moves to the U.S. and immediately charms three very attractive ladies at a bar with his accent. (From IMDB)

Stacey, American Dreamgirl: [points to beer bottle] What do you call that?
    Colin: Uh, Bottle.
    Stacey, American Dreamgirl, Jeannie, American Angel, Carol-Anne, American Goddess: [giggling, mimicking accent] BOHT-el!
    Jeannie, American Angel: [points to straw] What about this?
    Colin: Uh, straw.
    Stacey, American Dreamgirl, Jeannie, American Angel, Carol-Anne, American Goddess: [mimicking accent] Strohw!
    Carol-Anne, American Goddess: [points to table] What about this?
    Colin: Uh, table.
    Stacey, American Dreamgirl, Jeannie, American Angel, Carol-Anne, American Goddess: [starting to repeat] Tab - Oh, the same. It's the same.

jannert, izzybot and Oscar Leigh like this.
  5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Agreed. :) The Spanish where you live is markedly different to the Spanish spoken where I live. We're here talking about mild differences in English pronunciation, but there is no (significant) English speaking region where different pronouns and verb conjugations are used compared to other areas. You live in a vos region and I live in a region, each with their respective compliment of different conjugations. And if I'm not mistaken Argentinians also make use of vosotros, which is entirely absent where I live. And you also live where sho creo que el cielo está bezho, a pronunciation markedly different from mine.

For those not familiar with Spanish, imagine if you will that as a feature of AmE, perhaps because of our early separation, we in America held on to thou/thee/thy/thine and also to the archaic second person and third person conjugations as everyday normal modes of modern speech here in 2016, while all the rest of the speaking regions of English were as they are now.... Not an exact parallel to the differences going on in the Spanish speaking world (thou/thee/thy/thine are alive and well in all speaking regions of Spanish), but it gives you an impression of how strongly different it can be, one region to the next.

MarcT and Oscar Leigh like this.
  6. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

I haven't read all of the comments above but I thought that it was only "shone". I didn't even knew about "shined". No, not again. Language changing itself. :p

7. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

Wreybies was right. I was thinking specifically of veggies. The produce section of the supermarket. I had totally forgotten there was another meaning!

8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

And of course there's 'herb' versus 'urb.'

I grew up saying 'urb' like Americans do, leaving the 'h' silent. When I moved to Scotland, 'herb,' or in the Scottish way of saying it,' 'hairb' sounded really odd to my ear. Now, after 30 years in Scotland, an American saying 'urb' seems awkward. I never say 'urb' any more.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. Oscar Leigh

I've never heard anyone face-t-face real life say "urb". I find it kind of comical. "Aww, those adorable Americans with their funny pronounciations."

Sifunkle and jannert like this.
  10. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

The officer shined his flashlight into the car.

The officer shone his flashlight into the car.

No offense, but the 2nd version rolls off the tongue poorly. Language should evolve, just like laws. People need to adapt more, seek perfection -- not comfort in what they're use to.

It's similar to the Bible or the Constitution of the United States. Both were written a long time ago and have continually lessening relevance in modern society, but people still use them as a basis in important decisions.

The Ten Commandments is more like over a hundred reduced to those more marketable. Slavery, permissible theft, etc. Hell, there's one saying if your son is unruly enough you're allowed to bring him to the center or town and have the entire village stone him to death.

The 2nd Amendment wasn't written in a world of sniper rifles, grenade launchers, flamethrowers, and assault rifles.

Everything is subject to time. Shit changes, we adapt. Said my piece, not getting into any religious or political arguments. Those were just easy-to-use examples.

P.S. Always used "urb" never "herb." Unless for a name, such as a shorthand of "Herbert." I say it as I hear it. That's why there's regional accents. Most people talk the way they were raised, from listening to others as they grew up.

Oscar Leigh and jannert like this.
  11. jannert

Comical. That's actually the way 'urb' strikes my ear now, when I hear it. Yet back home in the USA, 'Herb' was a guy's name. Short for 'Herbert.' So it sounded comical calling a fistful of leaves by the same name. Maybe that's why they dropped the 'h?'

12. ToBeInspired

My edit is your post. Funny.

13. jannert

My point was, where does it end? If the process of natural change accelerates too fast, the standard is lost.

Language is a system devised by humans to allow themselves to communicate with one another. The basis of language is agreed meanings of certain words and usages. You throw those meanings and usages out the window over a short period of time, and language deteriorates to where it's difficult to communicate. There's a difference between letting something evolve naturally, and simply ignoring it or twisting it out of all recognition—either through ignorance of the agreed form, or simply because you decide you want to change it yourself.

The Second Amendment could use a re-write to bring it up to date. But this re-write needs to be carefully considered, voted on, etc. At the moment what you've got is chaos because folks are saying 'it's about guns' and then twisting it to mean what they want it to mean. Both sides of the argument are squawking about the Second Amendment—which is my point. If both sides of a very heated argument think the Second Amendment supports their view and not the other, then the Second Amendment has lost its meaning.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  14. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Not to me

As someone who speaks the language proper like ;) the first version says the officer polished his flashlight into the car, which makes no sense , while the second is the correct form.

The officer shined his shoes until they shone

15. ToBeInspired

Technological telepathy.

I understood your point. Was just interjecting my initial response before reading all the posts. Still tweaked out on caffeine.

I 100% agree with the careful attitude. I'm also not a fan of adding slang to our language to appeal to the masses. I don't mind no words, but ain't ain't a word (though I personally like it).

My only point was that as a race humans should be understanding that change is a constant. To survive, and improve, we should always be willing to adapt.

Let's just not get on my views of human nature or how we've done as a species so far. I'd probably highlight the bad first. I'm a realist, so I look at all the sides before coming to a conclusion. However, I look for the worse in a situation first simply to be better prepared if it comes down to it.

Edit:

First defintion "to emit light."

He emitted light on his shoes.

Doesn't work for me.

16. Oscar Leigh

Slang is fine, IMO. As long as we don't accept every slang. I mean, language is what people speak. So if it's how people speak, and it's not just an error, then it deserves some recognition. The issue is when people make a mispronounciation valid because they can't be bothered pronouncing correctly.

jannert likes this.
  17. big soft moose

Nope

Shined - Polished to a shine , the action of making shiny

Shone - to emit or reflect light

jannert and Oscar Leigh like this.
  18. ToBeInspired

Guessing you're going off the Oxford version.

Merriam-Webster has the transitive verb form as shone or shined.

If you're going by Oxford, they tend to be set in their ways. Not saying anything bad, one of the top universities hands down. Just too many old roots and traditions to keep up with language trends.

Here's Washington State University:

The transitive form of the verb “shine” is ”shined.” If the context describes something shining on something else, use “shined”: “He shined his flashlight on the skunk eating from the dog dish.” You can remember this because another sense of the word meaning “polished” obviously requires “shined”: “I shined your shoes for you.”

When the shining is less active, many people would use “shone”: “The sun shone on the tomato plants all afternoon.” But some authorities prefer “shined” even in this sort of context: “The sun shined on the tomato plants all afternoon.”

If the verb is intransitive (lacks an object) and the context merely speaks of the act of shining, the past tense is definitely “shone”: “The sun shone all afternoon” (note that nothing is said here about the sun shining on anything).

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  19. jannert

The officer shined his shoes until they shined? Aaargh.... That's where we're heading with this nonsense. Shone is a perfectly good word and its meaning is clear. Shined is all over the place.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    Oscar Leigh and ToBeInspired like this.
  20. ToBeInspired

There will always be people who use language poorly, fact of life (general statement only).

Where we should be heading with this is to all agree to a drink a bottle of 'shine together and it call it a wrap. The only proper shine is moonshine... moonshined.... moonshone. Always mix those up.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  21. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I think this is an appropriate time to share this (unintentionally) hilarious video. I ask that the Americans among us do not take offence. I'm merely posting this as I think it's very appropriate (I'm sure many have already seen it anyway). Her version of our 'coffee' is mind boggling in its wrongness.

Sifunkle and jannert like this.
  22. jannert

@OurJud ...coh fay ...cough eh? No wonder you guys prefer 'tee.'

OurJud likes this.
  23. ToBeInspired

Is it just me or does it all sound the same? Must be the 'shine talking....

I'm not offended, if someone is they need to grow thicker skin. Why get upset about something that has nothing to directly do with you. It only gives prejudices power.

24. Oscar Leigh

I'm Australian, and we almost always are like the British on this, but I've never heard "coff-fay". I probably pronounce it differently to Americans, but not to that extent. Do the British even say "'coff-fay". I swear I've heard "fee" from British people, even upper-class ones.

OurJud likes this.
  25. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

You hear the same thing when she says the two versions of 'coffee'?

I suggest a hearing test is in order o_O

Oscar Leigh likes this.