1. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Short stories to plays?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Spencer1990, Aug 3, 2016.

So I've recently decided to do an upcoming project for school. I get to choose the project and I decided on the idea to take a short story and turn it into a screenplay.

I've never written a screenplay before, but I've always wanted to. I'm not expecting it to be any good. Not expecting to use it for anything outside of school. It just sounds like fun for an honors project.

I have a few ideas in mind for a short story to use, but I'm looking for suggestions.

Thinking Kurt Vonnegut would translate really well (Welcome to the Monkey House, Harrison Bergeron).

Young Goodman Brown by Nathaniel Hawthorne might be fun as well.

Anyway, fire away with some suggestions!

Disclaimer: Not looking to be steered away from doing this project in favor of a different one. I'm just interested in which short stories you guys think would translate well into screenplays.

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I think it sounds great. You could get real artistic with something like Raymond Carver's Why Don't You Dance.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  3. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

That would be an interesting one. I just read it and definitely enjoyed it. It would take a few reads to get the deeper meanings, but not a bad idea at all.