1. BruMeister

BruMeister Member

Writing For A Series?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by BruMeister, Jun 14, 2009.

I've plotted out my entire story before I decided to write it. I started writing my rough draft awhile ago, and today I took a good glance at it. I was at first intending to make it all into one book, but it appears it's becoming longer than I expected it, and I'm not even halfway through my planned out storyboard. I'm writing everything I want to write content wise, but I was thinking, maybe I should break it at least two books.

Any suggestions? For somehow who is aiming for their first published book, how many words should the first one be?

2. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

If this is your first piece that you want published, perhaps a series isn't the best way to start. Publishers prefer to see a list of published work that you've submitted before, so they know people read what you write. They won't publish one book if there's no evidence to suggest people will read it, and they definately won't publish a whole series.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Gallowglass is right. Not many publishers are going to take a chance on a series by a new author. Also, the typical word count for first novels is between 70k and 100k depending on the genre (fantasy novels tend to be a bit longer).

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Write your first novel. The word length indicated by thirdwind is on target, with YA novels being a bit shorter.

The trick is to write your first novel in the series so that it stands alone, even if you hope to expand upon the characters/world/whatever through a series.

Terry

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

most publishers want 80-100k in a first novel for the adult market, by new, unknown writers... all the advice above is good, you should take it seriously...

6. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Even if you aren't an unknown, it's better to have a parts of a series be able to stand alone, especially the first one. If my habits regarding series books are any indication, and friends habits regarding TV shows, you'll sell more if they do because readers don't have to keep up with what order they are in. I read the Darkover novels because you can pick up any book in any part of the timeline and be able to follow it, regardless of what you have read before.