Tags:
  1. Micah Robertson

Micah Robertson New Member

short story idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Micah Robertson, Sep 25, 2020.

After her game system summons her into the game world, Luci Parker must destroy a glitch reawakened to corrupt the game system.

How does this idea sound? Please let me know.

Steve Ladd and LostArtist like this.
  2. JuliaBrune

JuliaBrune Member

It's a rather generic idea that's already been done several time. That doesn't mean it's bad !

It does mean however that you need to add a twist to it. Either in the plot (for example the 'glitch' isn't one, it was deliberately put in by the programmers and getting sucked in is the game) or in the setting (ex : the game is from a weird genre like a base building sim)

Unrelated : You should make an introduction post in the new member introductions board. That's important forum etiquette :)

3. CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel Banned

It's been done before, I believe some sci-fi novels have that same concept.

4. TheOtherPromise

TheOtherPromise Senior Member

I'd say there's nothing wrong with the idea though I do question whether it's good for a short story. Seems more like a novella or novel to me. Though that could just be based on how I view short stories.

5. Aldarion

Aldarion Active Member

Good idea, but yeah, looks like something that could easily grow into something longer.

6. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

Sounds like a fun idea!

It all depends how you orchestrate the details. You don't want it ending up sounding too much like Sword Art Online or something like that.

7. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Honestly, sounds exactly like Tron.

Doesn't mean it couldn't be done, but it's not new by a long shot.

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Also 'Only you can save the world', by Terry Pratchett

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  9. Damage718

Damage718 Senior Member

There was an awesome cartoon in the late 80's/early 90's called Captain N: The Game Master that had a similar premise. In the show, a wizkid at Nintendo games gets sucked into his TV and right into the actual game(s) universe, where he teams up with various 'good guy' video game characters to fight evil boss characters from other games, all in an effort to get him back to his reality.

It was kind of corny, but really fun if you were/are a fan of classic Nintendo.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  10. LostArtist

LostArtist Member

I sense a bit of
    Tron, Lawnmower man, Reboot, Wreck-it Ralph, Ready play one, Sword Art Online.
    Might have been done before but they come along every generation of technology. What would keep the idea fresh is what dose the setting say that is new.
    But as the concept goes, it is a world where anything can happen and it is up to you how you define what rules your world abides by.
    Classic si-fi

11. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

As everyone says, it's been done. So what? Honestly, damn near everything's been done.

Does this make writing a hopeless venture into an abyss of copycat ideas? Nope, wrong again. The story will carry its novelty through the voice of the author and their ability. Anything, and I mean anything, can be written to sell if it's in the hands of someone passionate enough about the writing to spend the time to learn and develop the necessary skills.

My point is, write the story. If you're an amateur, cool. It'll suck when you write it either way the first time, but you'll learn some skills to make it better. Keep developing these skills and getting words on the document. And don't ask for verification. Nobody is going to write the story in your head but you. I don't need a synopsis, brief or large, doesn't matter. Get it out on paper, get some eyes on it to see where you struggle, and then suck up the pain to get those edits done.

LostArtist likes this.
  12. Steve Ladd

Steve Ladd New Member

Hi there, Micah! This idea actually sounds pretty cool, IMO-I'd certainly read it(especially as I'm a gamer, though I'm sure non-gamers could enjoy it as well).

13. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

I agree. Been there done that bought the shirt. But that shouldn't stop you. Writing is all about the interpretation.

JuliaBrune likes this.
  14. JuliaBrune

JuliaBrune Member

This ! Stock plots are fine, and they're very good to start with when you don't have much experience. As I said before, the key is to figure out what you want to add to the recipe that make it *your* story.

Steve Ladd and CrimsonAngel like this.