1. Drinkingcrane

Drinkingcrane Active Member

short story rewrite

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Drinkingcrane, Jul 8, 2019.

I was active on this site last year and I posted a story I wrote.

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/inanas-decent-3500-words.159752/

There are many things wrong with this story (of course this only the second thing I have written) but i believe that they can all be boiled down to the fact that my story is all tell and no show and my main character is not believable. I'm grateful for @Lew for pointing this out.

Unfortunately there is no band-aid edits to fix these problems. The only way to fix them is to rewrite the story from the ground up.

Im ready to start writing again and I would like to revisit this work. I believe that the story I was attempting to write is good enough that its worth the time and effort for a re write.

In short the story was inspired by an ancient Sumerian myth(some of the oldest writing that we have) about a goddess named Inanna who adorns her self with clothing and jewelry containing power, then visits the underworld. As she enters the underworld she has to divest her self of her apparel to move forward until she is in the underworld naked and powerless.

This process of being divested of power until you are left powerless and naked strikes my imagination hard and I hope I can write a decent story about it.

SethLoki likes this.
  2. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

I remember, I actually like the basic structure. Good luck on the rewrite!

Alan Aspie likes this.
  3. Drinkingcrane

Drinkingcrane Active Member

Well, I finished my rewrite. The original was 3500 words and I fleshed it out to about 10000 words. I posted a chunk of it in the workshop forum.
    I like how some parts ended up, other parts fell flat. Which is to be expected given my inexperience as a writer. Now I just need to take some time away from it to edit the thing.

Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.