1. Calliope Vox

Calliope Vox New Member

Short Story work

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Calliope Vox, Aug 16, 2018.

Hi! I've just joined here and I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I am working on a short story concept that I've tried coming at from a few different angles, and I'm just having trouble ironing it out. The overarching idea is that of a young woman who fakes her own suicide by murdering her identical twin. Some motivations I've considered are family abuse involving said twin, false accusations of crimes perhaps committed by said twin, and/or access to funds in possession of said twin (coupled with one of the others).

Any ideas on the best angle to come at this? Revealing the identity swap as a twist near the end, or revealing it in slow bits and pieces throughout? Or going in with the reader fully informed of it? flashbacks? flash-forwards? And somehow finding a way to an end where the main character flees to live a life where she belongs to herself, where she is nobody's twin.

Thank you!

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

To me, the most interesting part of this idea wouldn't be how one twin murders the other, but how she assumes the identity of the other... and gets away with it. If the family was still around I'd imagine they wouldn't be fooled for an instant. And if there's any ambiguity in identity, I'd imagine the cops would do whatever they could to figure out which one really died.