1. boesjwoelie

boesjwoelie Member

short story

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by boesjwoelie, Apr 4, 2010.

I'm currently working on a fantasy novel, just one. That's why I got the idea (got it from this forum actually :p) to get some projects going on the side, in case I get low on inspiration.
    At first I thought: ''How hard can it be to write a short story. It's just like a long story but shorter.''
    But after a few attempts at this - you guessed it :redface: - it started to dawn on me that a short story is another thing entirely! :eek:

So, does anyone has some advice on how to do a short story as oppose to a long one? :)

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Focus on one main conflict. Don't include things that aren't absolutely necessary. Don't include too many characters (a lot of short stories have just 2-3 characters).

Besides all that, read some short stories. Some magazines have stories you can read for free online, but I know that a lot of libraries carry magazines as well.

Also, I think there was another thread like this one not too long ago, so you can search for that and read through it.

3. Fedora

Fedora Active Member

Yes. You can't approach a short story like a novel; they're two completely different beasts.

4. boesjwoelie

boesjwoelie Member

thanks both of you ^^

5. EileenG

EileenG Member

Think of a short story as a snapshot. Life went on before the story started, and will continue afterwards, but the story focuses on something that causes an important conflict for one of the characters.