Tags:
  1. Zombie Among Us

Zombie Among Us Active Member

Shot in The Shoulder

Discussion in 'Research' started by Zombie Among Us, May 12, 2019.

Hello,

My POV character gets shot in a nerve complex in their shoulder, causing them to forever lose use of their right arm. This is after the apocalypse, so there’s barely any medical help. It takes about two years for them to find a group of people who can amputate their arm semi-professionally. Before then, the wound is occasionally cleaned.

What would happen to their body in these two years? What’s a brief overview of how the surgeries would work? Should I have the arm amputated earlier by those who have never done the surgery before?

Thanks.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

paging @GingerCoffee

I'm not a medical expert but i'd say they are going to get septicemia and die horribly well before two years is up

frigocc likes this.
  3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I'm not a medical expert, but two years is a long time. If it hasn't shriveled up and fallen off by that point, it would likely be mostly healed and amputating it at that point would be mostly unnecessary and a pretty risky procedure.

4. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

This is my guess as well. Not sure if that injury could lead to a whole-body infection. If so, he'd probably die of septic shock.

5. Zombie Among Us

Zombie Among Us Active Member

Thanks everybody, I’ll change when they have surgery done.

6. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Probably the wound would be irradiated and quite manageable for up to two years. I'm imagining the stump decorated with a flower, and the fukking do-gooders of the community post-Armageddon folk all interfering and insisting on a surgery ceremony/ rehabilitation.

Cave Troll likes this.