Should I really use the word "vampire"?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Sundowner, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Sundowner

Sundowner Active Member

I'm trying to be realistic about it and explain everything scientifically, so no, they don't really have any kind of powers like that.
    I think their biggest "power" is the fact that their saliva contains a venom that causes humans to become manic and open to suggestion, essentially making them their slaves. These humans quickly go completely insane and rabid, and after a few months they have to be killed for their own good. It's their most outstanding feature and what makes them such a huge threat.
    They also have the typical immortality, can heal from any wound, even mortal ones.
    The venom thing lets them basically leech off people, live in their homes and take their paycheck, which is why I was thinking something along the lines of "parasite", since they act like one in every sense of the word.

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

'Leech' is a pretty common vampire euphemism (iirc it was used in both Buffy and Twilight which weirdly were the first vampire-containing things that came to mind) but I'm sure you've thought of that one already.

Drainer may not sound super cool but they sound like they'd be a drain on society in addition to literally draining their victims so that's kind of clever?

(ps: scientific vampires! my favorite thing. well top ten, anyway)

3. Ivana

Ivana Senior Member

Since the word "vampire" has the Serbian origin, I'd suggest you calling them "upyrs" or "lampirs" or "lapirs" which were all the names given to them by the other Slavic nations. I also read that they sometimes called them "vapers" or "vapors" which sounds interesting.

4. Sundowner

Sundowner Active Member

Actually, funny enough I didn't think of "leech" (or I did and forgot). I might also go with it.

I think one thing I have to stress is, these hunters usually have to explain vampirism to loved ones of the infected, and in fact one such instance happens in my book. They probably wouldn't want to call their lost or ailing family member something like a "leech". Kind of why I wanted to go with something that has a nicer ring to it, like "revenent" or maybe even a foreign word that only translates to "parasite" but doesn't sound like it. I've constantly been thinking about this "reveal" scene and I guess that's what I'm trying to look for a word for, specifically.

"Leech" sounds fun as a self-deprecating word though, I might incorporate it.

5. bumble bee

bumble bee Member

So maybe two names? An official word that's used in reports and for talking to victim's families and a slang one used between the hunters. There's a precedent for that with the military referring to the enemy in a conflict. I've realised as I'm typing- that's what they do in World War Z with 'Zack' Something that takes the first letter of the name of the disease?

What about something that makes reference to their ability to enslave people, as that's a significant feature and difference from typical vampires in fiction.

Try playing around with words to do with: mesmorising, hypnotising, masters/owners, compelling, controlling etc.

Is there something you could borrow from a real world example of people who have their freedom of will constrained: prisoners of war (or prisoners/convicts in general), the native population of an invaded country, minority groups, work gangs, slaves, indentured servants, serfs beholden to local nobility, school children ;) What are people in charge of those groups called? Overseers, guards etc

6. jen_writer

jen_writer Member

I've been reading vampire stories since I was in my pre-teens and years before the latest craze. I don't see anything wrong with calling them vampires. A lot of writers have given them different names you might find it hard to come up with something original I do find that writers tend to use their name in other languages-as was recently mentioned- but as a vampire fan I'm not fussed. If it's set in that country fair enough.
    I seems too fantastical when they have odd names after all in reality we'd call them vampires.

7. Sundowner

Sundowner Active Member

Yes, I agree, which is why I mentioned people will still call them "vampires", because otherwise it's just avoiding the obvious.

I think I'll just go with "Faim's disease" or "Revenent's disease" maybe. I was thinking, like, why do they even have to be called a completely different breed when they just have a virus? We don't really call people with AIDS anything special (not to insult anyone suffering from STDs). While there are a lot of malicious vampires in my book, the hunters understand the disease just sort of makes you like that, and they don't hold any special kind of malice or hatred over them, the whole party really is just to keep the virus under wraps so people don't foolishly want it for themselves. Those with a bad history with vampires usually call them "demons" but that's about it.
    I'm also thinking maybe I can make up some local folklore about a leech or something, and have a child vampire call themselves that. It sounds kinda cute.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really liked "faim" and "leech", probably wouldn't came across them without this thread.

8. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Revenant makes me think of a ghost because of Supernatural, but then again, it'd imply the creature is something that has "returned" to life / to their world, so it might be quite fitting and eerie enough to imply a supernatural creature like a vampire.

Foreign words, that's fine, Grimm uses lots of German names for the monsters the MC hunts, but a foreign name might not have as strong an effect on your reader as a name that evokes unsettling, creepy, or otherwordly connotations. I remember in His Dark Materials, there were monsters called nälkäinens. Just having heard the name, what kind of monster do you think it is?

Did it make you think of a headless monster of a size comparable to a child who feel they way through the northern forests by night and if they encounter a sleeping human, they latch onto him/her? Probably not. When I first read it, I thought of a hungry monster because nälkäinen actually means 'hungry'. At least I got the feeling these things are malevolent, but I didn't think of a headless child size creeper either.

9. stormcat

stormcat Active Member

You can always call them "Leeches", or any other blood-sucking animal, but I think leeches sounds better than "Mosquitos" anyway.

I remember an infamous video game by the name of "Night Trap". They referred to the blood suckers as "Augers". That might work for you.

On looking up the actual definition of the word "Auger" it means a tool used to bore holes in wood. Maybe "Piercers" or "Awls" could work too.

10. Remi Lee

Remi Lee New Member

I don't want this to come off risque or anything but you could call them "Suckers".

Jack Asher likes this.
  11. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

There is a disease called Renfield's Syndrome that resembles vampirism. Perhaps something based on that would work. You might want to make it an enhanced version of the disease so it fits your story better.

Wikipedia has a page on it.

12. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

I like the sound of Faim's disease or Revenant's Disease. Both sound like they could be ligitimate illnesses, and those familiar with it (your hunters) could easily shorten it when referring to the patient. My buddy who has Chrones disease rarely says the full thing, instead he merely says "I've got Chrones." I can easily envision these hunters saying "He's got Faim's/Revenant's." Leech is a good derogatory name.

13. Song

Song Active Member

Imo there is a number of things you can think of when working out what to call them.
    1) Which weakness or feature do you think the media or the community would latch onto? If its vampires sensetivity to the light then they might get called a Lunite or something, If it's the need for blood it might be a Hemogoblin etc.
    2) Who is saying it? A redneck or a working class person is unlikely to call it buy a scientific or offical term. Imo they are more likely to just call them 'Biters' or 'Suckers' or 'Blood rat' etc

So I would consider how the news of them would be broken to the groups and how they were discovered. While you might not be covering an origin in your book, I think for an organic feel you might want to think about how it all started and how it was bought to peoples attention.

Good luck with the book, and I hope I've helped a little.

14. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

Hmm...

The dead
    The wicked
    Children of the night
    Dark ones
    Suckers
    Bloodsuckers

15. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

If you really want to avoid the over used and cliché, don't use that creature at all. That would be the best way IMO. If you really need them, I think it's more about how the story people look at them, if you know what I mean. In your story world, do not make them romantic figures. Make everyone scared of them because they're mean and dangerous, and give them no nice traits. If they ARE vampires I don't think a different name would fool anyone.

16. EricaJRothwell

EricaJRothwell Active Member

Different people may call them different names. More professional people may use the professional term to describe their illness whilst the lamens will most likely make up some derogatory name like "biters" or something.

17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Spin it as you like. At the end of the day a spade is still a spade. Or call them in Latin: sanguinem potator. Meaning blood sucker. Lamia is vampire in Latin as well. Just a thought, try playing around with a translator online, I am sure you could find something better than 'Leeches'. Again just a thought.

18. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Readers bring their own perspective and knowledge to the text. The word vampire conjurers many different images to different readers. Names invoke a power and a definition, so if anything, introduce your variant before you apply the label of your choosing. Make it your own.

Shbooblie and Cave Troll like this.
  19. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

Just call them what they are. They're gaunt monsters who do their best to knock folk unconscious and suck on their neck. Though if you want to do that with a cool name some of the time, that's great, but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid the word "vampire". The readers are going to know what you're describing soon enough anyways.

And I know this hasn't been touched for a month, but sue me. It's the middle of the night, and I can't sleep.

20. MrStoryTeller

MrStoryTeller New Member

They're basically Vampires correct? How about:

Biters.
    The Sick.
    The Fanged.
    Blood Eaters.
    The Famished.

21. Australis

Australis Active Member

If you use the word revenant, then one of my main characters will create an army of them and kill you with them, just so you know what a revenant actually is.
    And she killed her own son, so don't think she wouldn't.
    :p

But seriously, what's wrong with using the word vampire, or a foreign version of it?